Skip to main content

Some incredible concept from my CITM

Last post 06:39 pm October 4, 2017 by Ian Mitchell
4 replies
02:31 am October 2, 2017

Dear Sirs,

My CITM (with pmi cert and join a agile training)decided to use a customized Agile.

He 

1. use an whole project as a single task in the scrum broad

2. group our 3 teams (development team, infrastructure team and project team) together as a single team with 7 - 9 members

I am not a certified Agile, but I search for many articles in the internet and still cannot find a similar case.

Would you please help to comment if these two new ideas can be succed or not?

Many thanks.

Regards,

HK Chang

08:14 pm October 2, 2017

Hi Chang,

For anyone to help, I think you should ask your question a bit cleaner. Could you please give more details about the following: 

• What is "CITM" ?
  • What do you mean by "Customized Agile"? Do you mean customized Scrum?
  • What do you mean "Use an whole project as a single task in the scrum broad"?

12:44 am October 3, 2017

Hi Özdoğan,

Sorry for the unclear message. The clarification as below:

• What is "CITM" ?

Reply: Chief Information Technology Manager

• What do you mean by "Customized Agile"? Do you mean customized Scrum?

Reply: Yes, customized Scrum. He says he customised Scrum for our used.

• What do you mean "Use an whole project as a single task in the scrum broad"?

Reply: In the Scrum board, a tiny task is stick individually there. Our our CITM customized Scrum. A whole project is stick as an individual sticker there, for example, a CRM project.

I would like to know if it is feasible to place the whole project as a sticker in the Scrum board. I cannot find any supporting article about this changes.

Many thanks.

Regards,

HK Chang

05:06 pm October 4, 2017

Hi Chang,

First of all, there is no such thing called customized Scrum. It is Scrum in its entirety. Refer to the end note from Scrum Guide:

"Scrum’s roles, artifacts, events, and rules are immutable and although implementing only parts of Scrum is possible, the result is not Scrum."

Coming to your questions:

1.) What is the purpose of taking the whole project as a single task ? What is the supposed advantage of doing this over the recommended way of having PBIs in Product Backlog, and selecting a subset of them to Sprint and decomposing them?

2.) Scrum Teams are cross-functional; so if all the team's members you specified are required to do the work to have a done Increment for your Product, then it is already a reasonable thing to have them in the Scrum Team.

06:39 pm October 4, 2017

I’m only guessing, but perhaps the CITM is trying to represent a project as work-in-progress on a portfolio-level Kanban.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.