Skip to main content

Scrum Master role in a flat organization

Last post 10:43 am October 25, 2017 by Julian Bayer
7 replies
02:23 pm October 5, 2017

Guys, how many of you have experience working in a flat organization? How do you work? How does organizational issues get solved? What is the role of a Scrum Master outside of the teams? Do you have any special roles?

Thank you!

09:25 pm October 13, 2017

wow, by the time my question got approved and appeared, its already on page 2...

05:08 pm October 16, 2017

Wish I could help on this but I've not been in a flat organization. 

Are you currently a Scrum Master in this type of structure? Are you having issues? Maybe posing specific questions will help get a response.

03:57 pm October 17, 2017

How flat is flat, how many levels?  How many people in the organization?   Organizational issues quite often can be "blockers", :)   Scrum masters role is to have those conversations, right?   

06:40 pm October 23, 2017

like 2 levels :) (ceo+everyone else, 140ish ppl)

Im not after specific responses, im rather after people with similar experience.

Specific questions would come in many forms, but to have on specific: 

-how you facilitate ownership of horizontal problems

like someone feels that build system should be handled by a separate team, how to start with that?

our vision is that people emerge as problem owners, identify the stakeholders, collect information, and decide themselves / ask for help for a bigger decision. but people dont always feel they are the ones that should do this. so... how do you help in these as a sm/agile coach?

08:07 pm October 23, 2017

What barriers are there to coaching self-organization for integrated feature delivery each Sprint, so as to avoid production silos like the build team you mention?

09:05 am October 25, 2017

I am working in a flat culture, SM role in a flat culture is same as in any other culture. I dont think there is any difference in SM role.

10:43 am October 25, 2017

I am working in a flat culture, SM role in a flat culture is same as in any other culture. I dont think there is any difference in SM role.

I'm surprised you say that. I would have expected that supporting the organisation works a lot differently when the organisation is not hierarchical.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.