Skip to main content

PSM II Inspect & Adapt

Last post 08:45 am October 12, 2017 by Ian Mitchell
1 reply
08:21 am October 12, 2017

Yesterday I wanted to have some transparency about my current level of scrum mastery and tried the PSM II exam. I passed with 89% ;-). Great. Now I want to some Inspect & Adapt on this result. In these learning areas I want to improve. 

Cross-Functional, Self-Organizing Teams

As a former teamlead and manager of softwaredevelopment-teams  (10 years) I still tend to take the role of the action-taker. Specially in critical situations I often tend to be the dominant leader and  I am convinced that my solution fits perfectly. As a teamlead I was was payed for solving problems as fast as possible (often as a type of fire fighter). In the past I had to deal a lot with situations like a team member is complaining about another member. As a teamlead I have always been quite sure how to deal with interpersonal problems. In most cases I addressed this issue in my regular 1on1 meeting. Now I want to adapt and learn more about how a Scrum Master acts in such situations.

Product Backlog Management

Currently I don't understand the techniques of ordering a Product Backlog in deep. Sometimes maybe the Product Backlog needs to be reordered to keep the flow of work going. I am not really sure when there is a need to reorder the Product Backlog and when there is a need to keep the actual order.

Coaching and Facilitation

I ask myself, as a Scrum Master who much I am committed to the financial success of the product. Can I be a good coach although the teams success isn't as high as expected from the sponsor? Do I ever suggest a solution to the team without being asked for?

=> I'm quite happy for having passed the exam and thank you all for sharing your insights. Any comments welcome.

08:45 am October 12, 2017

One question I advise every Scrum Master to consider is the level of tolerance they are prepared to accept for organizational impediments.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.