Skip to main content

Does the Increment needs to be releasable

Last post 11:39 pm October 20, 2017 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
06:51 pm October 20, 2017

Hello,

I have a question concerning the increment at the end of the Sprint.

In today’s retrospective the Product Owner asked if we really always need a potentially releasable increment at the end of the Sprint even if we absolutely know that we will not release in the next months. He thinks we could the time needed to make the tool releasable.

In my opinion the increment needs to be releasable at the end of every Sprint because I don’t want to have Backlog Items like “release version” or even worse, have a complete release Sprint.

What’s your opinion on this topic? Do we always need a releasable Increment at the end of each Sprint? And please don’t forget to tell me why :)

Thank you very much!

Regards

Benjamin

09:00 pm October 20, 2017

If you look at the Scrum Guide, it gives you the answer very clearly. See "Sprint" under Scrum Events and "Increment" under Scrum Artifacts.

09:24 pm October 20, 2017

Benjamin - I believe your understanding is in line with the spirit of the Scrum framework.  My interpretation is that the Increment must always be kept in "potentially release-able" condition, and in a state that if the Product Owner decides to release the Increment to Production, there would be no additional work needed (i.e extra testing, bug fixing, integration problems, etc.).  The Increment is the features delivered in your current Sprint in addition to prior Sprints' features.  Release or hardening Sprints are not part of Scrum.

The problem with not keeping the Increment potentially releasable is that you have to go back and fix the issues,, technical debt, or defects in the future, which are always more expensive to fix later.  The earlier a problem is addressed, the cheaper it is to fix.

Scrum on!

11:39 pm October 20, 2017

In today’s retrospective the Product Owner asked if we really always need a potentially releasable increment at the end of the Sprint even if we absolutely know that we will not release in the next months

It sounds like the opportunity to inspect and adapt the product is being deliberately thrown away, and hence there is little point in sprinting at all.

In Scrum, it's important to leave Sprint Planning with the full expectation of having a release-quality increment by the end of the Sprint. The decision whether or not to release ought to be made by the Product Owner at the last responsible moment, depending upon factors in the business environment such as market conditions. Failure to do so increases the leap-of-faith a Product Owner must take before empirical evidence of progress can be demonstrated. Agility is thereby reduced and stakeholder interests are not as well-served as they might be.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.