Skip to main content

Is Daily Scrum kind of artefact ?

Last post 05:09 pm October 25, 2017 by Curtis Slough
4 replies
06:59 pm October 24, 2017

Hi,

Today I've heard strange (for me) thing. One man said, that Daily Scrum is Scrum Artefact. I told him, that he's wrong, and that is Scrum Event.

After that he said that it's "benefit artefact", and rest of the Scrum "things" are also "benefits artefacts". I guess, that he said about Scrum benefits.

I base on Scrum Guid, but maybe I didn't understand something, or maybe don't feel this.

Who was right ?

Thank you for your help

08:08 pm October 24, 2017

Marcin,

According to the Scrum Guide, the Daily Scrum is clearly an event. In fact, the Daily Scrum, the Sprint meetings (Planning, Review and Retrospective) and the Sprint itself are all events. These are all time-boxed, they have a duration - in other words, they are events.

The artifacts are the Product Backlog, the Sprint Backlog and the Increment. These are more "tangible" and they represent the work or value provided.

There is nothing called "Benefit Artifact" in Scrum.

Cheers,

Demerson

08:32 pm October 24, 2017

An artifact in Scrum is a tangible item that either drives or is the result of the events. Product Backlog, Sprint Backlog, and Increment are the artifacts within scrum. The backlogs drive the sprint planning, daily scrum, and sprint, while the increment is the result of these events. The increment is also a driving piece of the Sprint Review and Retrospective. 

I would be interested in knowing where this guy got this information from. It doesn't match anything in the Scrum Guide. I would encourage you to always revert back to the Scrum Guide in these conversations. In that conversation, I would have asked him on the spot "Where is that in the Scrum Guide?" (Spoiler: it is not found in the scrum guide).

06:23 am October 25, 2017

HI,

Thank you for your help. Now I'm sure that I'm walking the right path :)

Curtis, of course I told him about Scrum Guide, but what was wrong in that case, I left myself open gate for "new knowledge". Which turned out to be not true. 

05:09 pm October 25, 2017

Marcin,

It's never wrong to open yourself to new knowledge. I mean in Scrum we come across new things on a daily basis and have to be open to learn continuously. The main thing is doing what you did, validating the new information and comparing what you have been told to the foundation and legitimate source material. In this case, you compared with the Scrum Guide and reached out for a little more clarification from other Scrum Masters. You did well in this scenario, my friend. Continue to challenge this person (if you have a working relationship with him) and have him explain the basis of his belief of the Daily Scrum is a benefit artifact instead of an event. Correct when appropriate by asking him where his belief is found within the Scrum Guide. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.