Skip to main content

Typical day of a Scrum Master

Last post 09:03 pm January 11, 2018 by Timothy Baffa
13 replies
01:17 am October 26, 2017

Just got PSM I certified. Now that am familiar with the theory, would like to know the typical activities and tasks of a Scrum Master.

What are the questions/concerns that you usually deal with. And what would you like to deliver by the end of a working day

09:29 pm October 26, 2017

Is there a specific question/concern you have Sahiti?   The answer to your initial question is probably more like a book than an answer that can be posted here.

Regarding what a Scrum Master "delivers", I never really considered my role as one that delivers something on a daily basis.   It is always my hope that through my interactions with my team and the organization, that they will be in a better place and continue to seek improvement each day.

06:30 am October 27, 2017

Congratulations for certificate..... As a Scrum Master what i do on daily basis:

- I have to be comfortable with uncertainty. The very nature of the process is that things will change and shift constantly--work moving in and out of sprints, focus shifting from feature to feature, and from new development to bug fixing and back again.

- I deal with constantly shifting nature of requirements, changes and priorities and to be flexible with higher management and dev team.

- I make facilitation but it does not mean I don't impose my will on my team. I do so whenever I see outage within process. I take care of roadmap of product release. 

- I do try to introduce new things which can enhance the productivity of dev team and from product point of view focus on collecting product requirements from many direct/indirect stakeholder. 

- Most important point, ensuring that the ultimate deliverables are on time, scope, quality, and under budget. It seems like a work of Project Manager in traditional project management but i think it is crucial for a SM. 

Besides above, I do care of training dev team and agile coaching in org. 

09:04 am October 27, 2017

Expect to spend most of your day with people who want to change Scrum rather than change their existing practices. The greater part of the issues you deal with will be either directly or indirectly related to that problem.

10:09 am October 27, 2017

Are you guys working exclusively as SM at your company?

10:11 am October 27, 2017

I spend a lot of my time creating training materials to tackle specific problems I've identified or a team has identified.  

I also spend a lot of my time continuing to learn about Scrum, Agile, Lean, etc. and how different concepts are applied, are lacking, or should be implemented in the organisation I'm working in.

11:58 am October 27, 2017

Ian and Alex described my typical day pretty well.

02:10 pm October 27, 2017

Expect to spend most of your day with people who want to change Scrum rather than change their existing practices. The greater part of the issues you deal with will be either directly or indirectly related to that problem.

I think this is one of the best pieces of truth regarding Scrum that I've ever seen. 

06:31 am October 30, 2017

Thank you all for great answers. But what really caught me was:

• Expect to spend most of your day with people who want to change Scrum rather than change their existing practices. The greater part of the issues you deal with will be either directly or indirectly related to that problem.

01:33 am January 8, 2018

"Expect to spend most of your day with people who want to change Scrum rather than change their existing practices. The greater part of the issues you deal with will be either directly or indirectly related to that problem."

MY EVERYDAY BATTLE!!

04:18 pm January 9, 2018

TRUTH!

04:21 pm January 9, 2018

While Ian's statement above is pure gold (diamonds, really, more transparent!), this checklist below has some typical things.

CAVEAT:  Do not ever think you can rotely implement the SM role well by following a checklist!

http://scrummasterchecklist.org/

07:55 pm January 11, 2018

While i find all answers very useful, i am curious to what traits/skills a scrum master has to have. Both soft and hard skills. What are the most important traits of SM?

09:03 pm January 11, 2018

Johannes,

Here are a few traits/skills that in my opinion are critical to being a successful Scrum Master, in no particular order, and certainly not exhaustive:

• desire to learn/improve
  • servant-leadership skills
  • consensus-building skills
  • coaching skills
  • solid understanding of Scrum
  • patience
  • acceptance of failure

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.