Skip to main content

Developing stories out of sprint

Last post 09:33 pm October 26, 2017 by Timothy Baffa
3 replies
01:32 pm October 26, 2017

I am a Scrum Master for a team that runs a 3 week sprint followed by 1 week of regression testing. It is becoming a more common practice for the developers to pick up stories or technical debt in the regression week (once all stories for the current sprint have been developed and are being regression tested). The regression week tends to be a quite week for the developers who mainly do bug fixes that are found in regression.

Having the devs pick up new stories/tech debt in the regression week means these are ready to be tested on the 1st day of the next sprint. 

This sounds like bad practice to me but I can't seem to find what Scrum says about working out of sprint. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

06:07 pm October 26, 2017

What does the Scrum Guide have to say about sprints starting and ending, and the importance of delivering increments which satisfy a Definition of Done?

07:53 pm October 26, 2017

Seems there is some kind of a Kanban board in play here wherein developers are pulling user stories and working on them outside the Sprint.

09:33 pm October 26, 2017

Seems there is some kind of a Kanban board in play here wherein developers are pulling user stories and working on them outside the Sprint.

It seems to me that they are not really practicing Scrum, mainly due to a lack of testing automation.   In my opinion, it would be best for them to slow down and try to complete each item through regression testing within a single sprint.

It may sound counter-intuitive, but you will actually go faster this way than with your current approach.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.