Skip to main content

Logical ways to split a team

Last post 03:09 pm November 3, 2017 by Christian Langenberg
3 replies
09:39 am October 31, 2017

Hi Community.

Im currently a Scrum Master for a team of 14 people. Yes you read that right, 14 people!!! It needs splitting. 

If anyone has experienced this scenario before and addressed it successfully, can you please let me know. 

Cheers, Jake

05:36 pm October 31, 2017

Are the team aware of the need for splitting into smaller teams? If so, how would they choose to self-organize so that feature-complete increments are delivered with minimal integration dependencies?

06:32 pm October 31, 2017

The team are well aware there needs to be a split. No recommendations as of yet, but yeah ill ask them. Good call! Will feedback what they think. 

09:58 am November 3, 2017

Hi Jacob,

I'm currently a PO working with 3 Scrum teams so I can sing a song or two about working with multiple teams.

When we started about 1.5 years ago with Scrum, we split our teams by technology, meaning one team would be the "Core technology team" and the other team would be the "interface team". That didn't work out very well because as Ian already mentioned, we created dependencies where one team was waiting on work to be completed by the other team. If a feature required UI components linked to a CORE function the UI testing team could not complete their test before the CORE team developed and tested their CORE components. It was very tricky.

Now, we split our teams by functionality, meaning we have UI developer and CORE developer in one team. The idea is that one team can take on one feature and develop/test this end-to-end. This is easier said then done because especially with complex features (the example above is highly simplified), we sometimes need one resource in both teams. And that's something I personally have not figured out yet, which is how can I split one resource (e.g. Oracle developer) across two teams.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.