Skip to main content

I just passed the PSM1 and PSPO1 examinations through self study. Is SPS also suitable for self study or is a course recommended?

Last post 03:54 pm December 7, 2017 by René Gysenbergs
1 reply
03:14 pm November 15, 2017

Hi, 

I just passed the PSM1 and PSPO1 ( just scored 98% :-) ) examinations through self study.

But I am doubting about SPS. SPS is newer  there exist many alternatives to scaling scrum and there seems to be fewer resources.

Are people passing SPS through self study or is a course really needed?

03:54 pm December 7, 2017

Hello Joost,

I passed the SPS exam after obtaining the PSM1 and PSPO1 exam. All three with a weeks difference in between and without following a course.

I myself use the Nexus framework when I'm working with minimum three Dev Teams on 1 product backlog or even with two teams if one of the teams is offshore.

Having a background in the DSDM framework (which contains scaling), I only needed a way to scale Scrum itself, hence SPS.

While Scrum Of Scrums is a scaling alternative, I personally use it as a coordination tool for dependencies between the Scrum Dev Teams of 1 product backlog, the Scrum Dev Teams of another product backlog and the non-Scrum Teams (Hardware support for instance).

The other big player is SAFe, but I really don't know if this scaling framework is good or if their instructor training just is bad, because at this moment I haven't met a single 'SAFe guru' that was capable of implementing it.

I had the (mis)fortune to work for several companies that tried to implement it over the years, but I haven't witnessed a good working implementation yet. Don't take my word as gospel, it could be that you have a different experience with SAFe!

For all the other frameworks: I'm not a big fan of certifications that are based on principles (and not technology/software) that have an expiring date. They feels more like money grabbing schemes than a proof of knowledge validation.

Hope that this helps.

With kind regards,

René

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.