Skip to main content

Tackling two teams concurrently

Last post 06:35 am December 7, 2017 by Konstantinos Dikos
6 replies
01:31 pm December 5, 2017

Hello,

I am fairly new at this and I have two scenarios that I would welcome any ideas on.

1. 2 development teams, one SM, one PO and one product.

2. 2 develpoment teams one SM, one PO and two products.

How do you propose the scrum events take place for both scenarios (including releases etc)?

Thanks in advance

Konstantinos

06:52 pm December 5, 2017

It looks like there are two Scrum Teams in both cases, each sharing the same Scrum Master and Product Owner. In the first scenario there may be some integration dependencies between the two teams.

For each Scrum Team in either scenario, do you have any reason to believe that the advice given in the Scrum Guide is inadequate?

06:19 am December 6, 2017

Thanks for your answer Ian.  I cant find a section in the Scrum guide indicating how to manage multiple teams with on SM,  one PO and 2 products.  One thought I have is to have each team perform different sprints one starting Mondy, the other Tuesday so that scrum events can be managed with ease.

04:53 pm December 6, 2017

Can you give more detail on the makeup of the development team?  Would each team have the needed skill sets to take backlog items and turn them into working software inside of a sprint?   

08:29 pm December 6, 2017

1. 2 development teams, one SM, one PO and one product.

2. 2 develpoment teams one SM, one PO and two products.

I'm interested to know why you chose to ask your question this way.

Are you thinking about a particular situation where it is unclear if something should be seen as a whole product, or two separate products?

If so, I think it would make sense to first understand what the product(s) is/are (and whether there are any inter-dependencies).

For instance, if releases of two products need to be co-ordinated, then it may make sense to synchonize sprints in a way that makes this easier.

05:54 am December 7, 2017

Do the teams have a clear understanding of where their dependencies are? Teams might have dependencies in terms of the work they agree to do and the need to integrate it, or the availability of certain people and resources. Dependencies vary if teams work on the same product or on different ones.

If they can visualize their dependencies, how would the teams choose to minimize and manage them?

06:35 am December 7, 2017

Dear all,

In the first scenario I would like to minimise WIP as much as possible making the user stories as INVEST as possible.

In the second scenario I have two teams and two completely different products not relating to each other at all.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.