Skip to main content

Scrum Master of two teams

Last post 06:48 pm January 29, 2018 by Jessica Reif
4 replies
09:40 pm January 22, 2018

I am a scrum master of two teams delivering different products. How best I can manage to perform for both the teams and at the same time not working beyond my working hours.  

09:46 pm January 22, 2018

Are you co-located with either or both of those teams?

09:55 pm January 22, 2018

It is challenging to be a good SM for two teams, but it's manageable. 

A lot depends on how your teams sprints are aligned. If they go in parralel that you might end up having pretty busy end of sprints as you'll need to accommodate 2 of each ceremony at the same time.

The more time you can spend with your team, the better SM you can be for them. So if you sit too far from one team, expect to miss out on a lot of interactions happening there. I was very lucky in my previous place as I was sitting right in the middle of my two teams and was able to constantly interract with both of them. If this is not the case for you and your teams sit too far away from each other, change your sitting place from one team to another every other day (unless one of the team requires more attention at a certain point).

You will still feel that you're letting your team down from time to time because you cannot be there for them while you're takling the second team. Be prepared for that.

06:46 am January 26, 2018

Hi,

I feel scrum master for two teams is really great, if the teams are a little mature and believe in self organisation.

In my experience, i was a scrum master for two brand new teams, and it was really difficult to manage my time

effectively. Though, not very recommended with the agreement of the teams, we started the sprints of both teams with a one day difference, so that, i can effectively be part of both team's sprint planning. Managing the dependencies, we effectively utilised scrum of scrums. In my experience, if you the planning goes effective, then execution of the sprint is less tedious and more management even if you are a SM of two teams.

Thanks,

Beenish

08:21 pm January 28, 2018

Hi Shweta - that's a great question! 

One recommendation I have is establishing an operating rhythm such that the teams are offset by a day (or a week if possible!). I would also recommend scheduling their standups at different times if possible, assuming this works for the development teams. 

Though it be a lot to manage several teams at once, the plus side is that you as the Scrum Master will learn from two teams and transfer learnings from across them when appropriate. 

Good luck! 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.