Skip to main content

Why not use the word 'project' in Scrum?

Last post 08:13 pm January 25, 2018 by Justin David Gill
2 replies
02:05 pm January 24, 2018

When I attended Scrum Master training I distinctly recall being told not to use the word project.  For the life in me, I can't recall why.  Is there an explanation or is this just down to personal preference?

I even recall another candidate explaining that any CVs received by their organisation with terms like 'Agile Project Manager' in were immediately rejected.

Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated.

10:23 pm January 24, 2018

When I attended Scrum Master training I distinctly recall being told not to use the word project.  For the life in me, I can't recall why

In Scrum the focus is upon products rather than projects. It may reasonably be argued that the emphasis is upon having product-oriented endeavors rather than project-oriented ones. However, the validity of the project construct is not in question. Do a search on the Scrum Guide for the word "project" and consider the context in which it is used.

I even recall another candidate explaining that any CVs received by their organisation with terms like 'Agile Project Manager' in were immediately rejected.

I could put Agile Delivery Manager in my CV because that was the title I had on an engagement about 6 years ago, although it was not a Scrum role. Being rejected on the basis of that would be a shame, because I would gladly discuss the impact and ramifications of such things with an interviewer.

08:46 am January 25, 2018

Thank you so much for the guidance. This will help me immensely in my current situation

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.