Skip to main content

Capacity Planning When Business Analysts are Part of Cross-functional team

Last post 01:15 pm February 20, 2018 by Ian Mitchell
1 reply
10:36 am February 20, 2018

Hi Team,

I am reading various blogs regarding Velocity Driven Sprint Planning vs Capacity Driven sprint planning for new teams.

I am currently working for one of my client for a newly formed team. The team does not have a velocity

My emphasis is more around capacity driven sprint planning. There are two BA's part of this team. Mostly their current skills will be utilised to help the product owner

prepare for next sprint PBI's. Obviously from capacity point of view, what will be their involvement in sprint planning except providing more details for stories. Should their capacity be substracted from total capacity of team as right now they are not upskilled to  do any cross functional stuff like testing or development. We can just include part of their capacity in the sprint. My approach is the following.

1. Understanding how much percentage they will be available for the entire sprint work. For example cross-skilling, helping other team members to achieve the sprint goal
  2. Include the above mentioned capacity to total capacity
  3. Rest of their time will be helping product owner elaborate stories

Looking forward for any better suggestions for the same.

Thanks,

Beenish

01:15 pm February 20, 2018

From what you say, it doesn’t sound as though their work is actually needed during a Sprint in order to create a “Done” increment. So unless there is an actual dependency, ought they to be considered members of the Development Team at all? Remember that there can be any number of stakeholders who liaise with a Product Owner when eliciting a backlog of work.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.