Skip to main content

Advice on coaching a dev team member who isn't willing to teach others

Last post 02:11 am August 29, 2018 by Anuj Merchant
6 replies
08:11 pm February 23, 2018

I'd love some advice on how to coach a dev team member who doesn't want to teach his skills to other team members.  This team member is a very talented front-end developer, and the rest of the dev team is very strong in back-end development.  We've done a lot of cross training to improve the front-end developer's back-end skills and knowledge, but the front-end developer has made it very clear that he doesn't want to be responsible for teaching his team members his skill set.  So in short, he wants others to help him with back-end, but doesn't want to have to teach anyone front-end and believes they should learn on their own.

Any thoughts on how to shift that mindset to want to teach his fellow team members?  Or any other ideas on how to handle the issue?

08:46 pm February 23, 2018

Is there any evidence that this person is a team member at all? He sounds more like an external dependency. If so, the team and wider organization ought to acknowledge the problem as such, and to consider their options accordingly.

Bringing an external dependency inside the team is an attractive idea but it is not always practical. Establishing complete transparency over the problem, and the range of available solutions, will be important for everyone involved.

09:01 pm February 23, 2018

There could be a number of reasons regarding this team member's reluctance to share his knowledge:

1. Perhaps this team member believes his value is centered on what he knows, and not on how he helps others?   What have you observed to either support or disprove this possibility?
  2. This team member may be uncomfortable in group settings.   How do they behave in team-based meetings?
  3. He may be inexperienced in instructing and guiding others.   Have they worked in a leadership capacity before?
  4. He may just be selfish and motivated by self-interest

One thing that I learned early on is it is extremely rare to come across an individual who behaves like a jerk because they just like it.   In almost every instance, there is an end-goal that guides behavior.   

If it were me, I would focus my attention on what the reluctant team member may be trying to achieve through his actions/inactions.   What might be his motivations in refusing to teach his fellow team members what he knows?   

If you can identify what his end-game is, you can be in a much better position to have a conversation with him about it.

Good luck!

09:07 pm February 23, 2018

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply!  I'm not completely following on what an external dependency means?  He is part of our scrum team, a dev team member.  It's fairly new team, less than a year old, and the team has primarily been working on back-end web projects.  We recently began working on some new projects that require front-end work, which is why this issue has recently come to light.

09:10 pm February 23, 2018

Thank you Timothy, very helpful advice! :)

03:33 am February 24, 2018

I'm not completely following on what an external dependency means?  He is part of our scrum team, a dev team member.

Is this person demonstrating the teamwork necessary to be a member of the team? Might the present reality be different, and that there is rather a team dependency upon him, due to his particular skills?

What do the others think about the importance of collaboration in establishing team membership, and how might this consideration help them to approach their problem?

02:11 am August 29, 2018

Hi Lindsay, 

I came across your post while searching for posts related to 'cross-training'. How are the things with this team? Do you still have that front end developer?

It is a tough situation, I kinda faced a similar situation when one senior .net developer gave us a lot of resistance in sharing his knowledge with other .net guy who was new to the team. I guess he did that because he wanted to have this monopoly over the entire team and that no one would think of replacing him because the team depends on him. 

Here is what I did:

1) 1:1 sessions with him, getting to know him personally, his career expectations, how he feels with the team.

2) Bringing this topic during retrospective. 

3) Team building activities after Friday stand up just to get these team members interact with each other. 

4) Talk to his reporting manager (I had to do this too). 

he is still with the team and working fine. It all depends on the personality and team dynamics too. 

"Knowledge un-shared is Knowledge wasted."

Thanks,

Anuj

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.