Daily Scrum - an Opportunity to Inspect & Adopt
Daily Scrum is not a daily status call
Daily standup is not really a daily status call. If you are treating it (scrum standup) as daily status update meeting then you are doing it wrong.
for status we have scrum board; which is very transparent and one can understand status on individual tasks by looking at it.
Daily stand up is not for individuals to update their status on task in-hand.
Generally, in daily standup, we follow standard path by asking 3 questions –
- What have you completed since the last meeting (standup)?
- What do you plan to complete by the next meeting?
- What is getting in your way?
But that is just half true. Actual questions are:
- What have you completed since the last meeting to achieve sprint goal?
- What do you plan to complete by the next meeting to achieve sprint goal?
- What is getting in your way in achieving sprint goal?
Whatever you do as part of sprint is for achieving sprint goal and not individual’s goal of finishing your own task or user stories.
Scrum team may need innovative ideas to run daily scrum call...
Innovations can be achieved; if we keep following points at the core of daily stand up.
- Daily stand up should be treated as an opportunity to inspect & adopt.
- Daily stand up - Where you plan and re-plan list of tasks that you are going to finish as a team and not individual.
- Daily stand up is an opportunity to inspect and adopt.
- Daily stand up is an opportunity to identify help needed for other team members to finish their task.
- Daily stand up is to identify impediments and help each other in scrum team to achieve sprint goal.
- Daily stand up is an opportunity to show your cross-functional skills
- Daily stand up is an opportunity to re-plan and adjust not only to achieve sprint goal but to bring in continuous improvement day by day
Scrum follows PDCA cycle – which provides or creates tremendous opportunities to inspect & Adopt.
All events and ceremonies in scrum should be treated as an opportunity to Inspect and Adopt.