Skip to main content

Nexus Sprint Backlog contains all PBI's?

Last post 04:03 pm March 13, 2018 by peter warley
2 replies
11:02 am March 12, 2018

I'm in the process of reading "The Nexus Framework for scaling Scrum" and it says that the Nexus Sprint Backlog contains only the PBI's that have cross dependencies or integration issues and not PBI's that do not have these features.  The Nexus guide indicates that it is a composite of all team sprint backlogs.  So these two ideas seem to be at odds and just wondered if someone could clarify please.

11:21 am March 13, 2018

In Scrum, whenever in any doubt, it is the information in the Scrum Guide which holds. I think that the same principle will need be observed regarding Nexus, i.e. go by what it says in the Nexus Guide.

I suspect the point being made in the book is that a Nexus Sprint Backlog ought to reveal dependencies and integration issues. Providing this transparency is the actual purpose of the thing. PBI's free of such concerns ought to be handled at Development Team level.

02:52 pm March 13, 2018

Thanks Ian, I guess you are right but I find it very strange and confusing, the statement reads

"The Nexus Sprint Backlog contains the PBIs that have cross team dependencies or potential integration issues.  It does not contain PBIs that have no dependencies, nor does it contain tasks from the individual Scrum Team Sprint Backlogs.  It is used to highlight dependencies and the flow of work during the Sprint...."

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.