Skip to main content

Does a 95% on PSM II outcancels a 90% on PSM I for PST training

Last post 09:46 pm March 16, 2018 by Chris Belknap
2 replies
12:29 pm March 16, 2018

Hello Everyone,

Don't panic! I haven't got any plans (yet) for starting the journey to become a PST  ;-)

A thought crept into my mind when I was reading the starting requirements for PST training and I can't come to a satisfying conclusion in my mind.

So now I'm asking the group here. I would like to hear from representatives of Scrum.org, but also from other practitioners about their stance, ideas.

I'm going to take my case as an example:

In 2016 I obtained my PSM I with 90% and my PSPO I with 92% without knowing that the minimum percentage needed to be 95% on these levels to be eligible for PST. (At that time I was in a clinch with a CSM that acted as a secondary PM instead of a SM, so just obtaining the certs was more important than obtaining them with a high score).

There are higher levels for PSM (II and III) and a higher level for PSPO (II).

So my question is:

If I obtain a 95%+ score on the PSM II and PSPO II, would this out cancel the 90%  and 92% on PSM I and PSPO II? Or is the 95% criteria set in stone and would I need to redo the PSM I and PSPO I?

With kind regards,

René

08:39 pm March 16, 2018

They do list it as two separate requirements in two different phases of the application, so my gut is telling me they're both required.  I hope that they'd make an exemption, but there's nothing I can find that indicates they have a policy.  It seems to be handled case-by-case.

Truthfully, I don't really follow the logic behind the PST program requirements.  It seems to imply that higher level certification can't be substituted for lower tier certifications, and that the certification threshold fluctuates from 85% to 95%.  I am quite proud of my PSM II, but being told it's currently not good enough for the accrediting body that issued it leads to mixed feelings.

Hopefully the program requirements are overhauled soon to properly address these gaps.

09:46 pm March 16, 2018

Once you get a 95 or better on PSM I and they approve your application, I believe they give you a free attempt at PSM II.  So you could retake PSM I and save yourself $100 when taking the PSM II.  Best to send them a message and ask, as I am just going by my interpretation.

Also it doesn't mention that you need a 95 or better for PSM II to advance, but you do need 95 or better on PSM III. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.