Skip to main content

go for PSM 1 certification without previous scrum experiece

Last post 06:16 pm April 6, 2018 by Artur Kożuch
5 replies
09:13 am March 17, 2018

I am planning to give PSM1 certification. I have experience in software development but do not have experience in Scrum.

Can I pass an exam without any real scrum experience?

How will it help in making career as Scrum master?

Plesae advise.

03:44 am March 29, 2018

Hi Pritesh!

You may pass PSM1 without scrum experience but you need to prepare and read scrum guide very carefully. 

Regarding your question about career, so it will increase (not very much) your chances but it does not mean that you will be offered automatically by Google or Facebook :)

01:07 pm March 29, 2018

Pritesh,

Just curious, if you have no experience with Scrum, why are you interested in a career as a Scrum Master and pursuing a PSM1 certification?

08:56 pm March 31, 2018

Hi Pritesh,

I have no experience in development or scrum and I passed the certification first try after a couple weeks study. My experience lies in technical support call centers as call handler and leadership for over 20 years.

That being said, it was difficult for me.  I am not in an environment where Scrum is used or understood, so situational questions were more difficult as I had to step outside my comfort zone.

If you study the Scrum Guide and learn it inside and out, you can pass without Scrum experience.  It just may be a bit more difficult.

Good luck and study hard.

03:55 am April 3, 2018

Thanks to all for reply.

My question is as i do not have experience in scrum and if i pass PSM 1 will it help me to get job as scrum master?

10:05 pm April 5, 2018

It probably depends on your future employer, market circumstances and many others. However, PSM I confirms that u posses basic knowledge about the Scrum and you know how to apply it in the practice - so for sure - it is a huge advantage. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.