Skip to main content

P.O. as Client

Last post 01:35 pm March 30, 2018 by Filip Łukaszewski
4 replies
06:16 pm March 29, 2018

Can I P.O. be the client of the framework? 

When I say the client, is the person who is putting money on the framework. 

I was discussing with my company friends, and in my opinion it brings some disfunctionalitys on the SCRUM because the P.O. has to attend the demmand of all the stakeholder and not only the client itself (wich is also a stakeholder, but the most important one). 

They said that alltough the P.O. has to attend the stakholder demand the final word is always from the client. 

So what are your guys opinion? Could it happen? And are the advantages and disadvantages of this scenario? 

07:08 pm March 29, 2018

If you were to be Product Owner, would other stakeholders trust you to represent their interests properly, and would you have their confidence in being able to fulfil that role? What do they and any possible Development Team members think about having you as PO? Have you had any conversations with the various people you will have to collaborate with?

Also how do you feel about it yourself, given that a Product Owner has to maximize product value while balancing potentially different and competing stakeholder interests?

07:23 pm March 29, 2018

Yes Ian, thank you! My thoughts on the subject are the same. In a hypothetically way, if people trusted me and there were no other stakeholders could someone be the sponsor and PO??

I know that the PO has the voice of the client for scrum team, but it works in the other way round? Like the PO "defends" the develpment team from the sponsor? 

A lot of discussions are happening here, that's really good for us!

08:55 pm March 29, 2018

There's no reason to separate product sponsorship from Product Ownership, and if they are represented in the same person it can make matters easier. A conflict of interest between the two would be less likely to arise, as would be the risk of miscommunication.

A Product Owner, who wishes to maximize and sustain product value, would not be likely to to attack or undermine the Development Team. This is true irrespective of whether or not the PO is also the product sponsor.

01:35 pm March 30, 2018

The only risk is if the PO starts to ask the team do work faster, and suggest that they can do more, and not in a nice, retrospective-based way, but more "I pay you" way.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.