Skip to main content

mainframe 6+ yrs exp to become scrum master

Last post 10:27 pm April 4, 2018 by Raphy Abano
2 replies
03:07 pm April 3, 2018

Dear all,

I have been experienced in mainframe team for more than 6 years but now I'm interested to upskill.Somehow I find Agile is going to make the future and I believe scrum looks interested for me. 

I have the below queries, and I request the experts and friends to reply and guide me the best to improve in my carrier.

1) Is it a good idea to move from mainframe to Scrum master since mainframe is felt little boring for me and feel old. No  new opportunities are coming and find less growth.

2) If yes, since I'm new to Agile, which would be a good option for me to upskill? Scrum or others.

3) If scrum which course in scrum master will be good for stepping in? and how to progress on time step by step. ( i mean like 

Professional Scrum Master (PSM I) 

Certified Scrum Master (CSM) 

Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP) 

Agile Scrum Master (ASM) 

Scrum Master Certified (SCM))

4) if I finish scrum master certification, does all company demands prev exp in the same field or it will invite me as well? Do i have good chances ( if not how should I groom)

5) For a person like me do job opportunities are good in India ? and how about jobs at overseas? any luck?  what are the average pay scale companies are hiring is like a fresher or prev exp will be added on?  within India or outside ( not exact just an approx number of your experience )

6) What are the course fee structure, average time to prepare and best practices to appear in exam.

I really appreciate for all who can help me, please. Thanks alot. I'm a newbie in this forum and Scrum terms.

Thanks,

Eswar

01:56 pm April 4, 2018

1. Steve Jobs — 'I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do".

2. Scrum is easier to grab, agility is much more subtle.

3. I do not have experiences besides PSM, I am afraid.

4. For SM positions, they do demand experience, however they often look for developers with Agile/Scrum knowledge, and such certification might come handy, especially if they later decide they need a SM...

5. Depends.

6. To pass PSM I you just need to read and understand free Scrum Guide, the exam itself is 100$. I do not know the prices of, let's say, CSM.

10:27 pm April 4, 2018

1) It's always beneficial if a Scrum Master has a technical background, but like mentioned, it really depends on your intended next step - do you see yourself looking to innovate or find new areas of improvement in mainframe, or do you want to go up and start coaching teams using Scrum?

2) Scrum is a pretty good framework to adapt agility within an organization, so that's where most start.

3) I don't necessarily want to "break the bank" with this statement, but ultimately the certification is meant to (a) tell employers that you can demonstrate and have mastery in the Scrum framework, and (b) provide you a great deal of credibility - I find that other certifications that you may interested in should be taken based on areas where you can help serve your organization. I myself got my PSM1 last year, then got an SSM because my organization started growing.

4) Similar to what Filip said, but in combination with 1 and 3.

5) I'd like to believe that there are opportunities everywhere for a Scrum Master, you just have to keep digging. Talk to other Scrum Masters or Agile coaches at meetups to get an idea.

6) PSM1 - read and understand the Scrum Guide, take the assessments often then pay for the exam. Please note, there are situational questions that you need to read up about as well.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.