Skip to main content

3 amigos in scrum

Last post 10:46 am April 4, 2018 by Chris Belknap
3 replies
08:57 pm April 3, 2018

Hi I have a query about the role of the 3 amigos meeting and how that plays a role in scrum.  I feel like the process our team is following is not quite scrum, and the 3 amigos seems to play a part in that.  So basically the flow is as follows:

Business analysts write user stories with input from product owner, dev team and architect as required.  when it is felt that the story is complete by the BAs it is put forward to be reviewed at a three amigos session.  

The Ba in conjunction with the developer(s), and QA will then run through the story and make changes as requested.  When the story is deemed complete, it is then put forward for backlog refinement.

At the backlog refinement session, an overview of the story is given to the wider team, and then sizing takes place by the team.  Questions are asked by people who were not present at the 3 amigos, and it almost comes across as like why was this not picked up then which to me is not what the three amigos is about.  Questions that are being asked are valid and I feel backlog refinement is the place to ask these and agree a story can be ready to be sized, and not the three amigos session.

I think the concern with agreeing a story in backlog refinement is that it makes the session unwieldy as not much would get progressed.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks,

06:21 am April 4, 2018

What's a three amigos session?

06:33 am April 4, 2018

What evidence is there that backlog refinement is unwieldy?

If it has indeed become so for some reason, then perhaps the team should address and resolve that problem directly. That would be better than trying to work around it with a separate “amigo” group which disfranchises team members from certain discussions.

10:46 am April 4, 2018

>> What's a three amigos session?

Three Amigos is a metaphor for a practice whereby the Product Owner (or BA), Tester and Developer get together to discuss the shared understanding PBI and expectations for testing.  I have seen teams use this as a way to discuss BDD scenarios right before development starts on work in the Sprint Backlog.  Sometimes it is just called an Amigos conversation if there is a PO and Development Team (everyone owns testing).

So it's nothing required in Scrum or mentioned in the Scrum Guide - it is just another tactic for discussing PBIs, rather than getting bogged down in the written details.  I have not seen it used in Backlog Refinement.  Your milage may vary.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.