Skip to main content

PO backlog refinement meeting placement

Last post 09:02 am April 5, 2018 by Rhea Pillai
2 replies
01:48 pm April 4, 2018

I've read that refinement is ongoing - is this a daily meeting or several times during the sprint?.

at 10% of the sprint time that would be 8 hours, right?

thought it was only done prior to the sprint planning meeting.

04:59 pm April 4, 2018

Hi Mark! 

It depends on many factors and I guess there is no one rule for all. For example in my team we are trying (and in most cases successfully) to have 1 grooming meeting (backlog refinement) per Sprint. But I know cases when there are 3-4 meetings per Sprint (but to be honest this is 1 month Sprint).

I reccomend you to read this article from scrum.org (take attention to button NEXT)

09:02 am April 5, 2018

Hi Mark,

The no. of backlog refinement session varies from project to project. In my project, we hold 2 sessions of 1 hour each in a 2-week sprint. This helps us to make sure that we have at least 1 or 2 sprints planned in advanced.

We also have 2 sessions, because our business keeps changing the prioritization quite often. However, we do have a heart stop defined after which we don't entertain major stories that require a lot of analysis. As of now, we held our first session on 3rd April, discussed and estimated a lot of stories and discussed one major story as well. There were few stories that had some open questions, which the PO is going to get an answer to, by the next session that we have on 6th April. We are going to discuss a major story on 6th and if all goes as per plan, with no pending questions, we will then hopefully take them in our next sprint on 11th.

We don't hold more than 2 sessions since our developers are not keen on investing more time since their dev work gets impacted of the ongoing sprint.

If the sprint length varies, then definitely we should hold more than 2 sessions to have a more effective backlog. Hope this helps.

Thanks

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.