Skip to main content

Should SM not ask Development Team to help PO to understand the dependencies among items to be used in ordering them

Last post 06:06 am April 30, 2018 by Julian Bayer
6 replies
01:42 am April 22, 2018

In one of the practice exams, I saw a question and its answer as below.

Q. What is a right action from the Scrum Master in response to a Product Owner who has problems managing the Product Backlog?

Ans: Below option wasn't right in 4 given options

Ask the Dev team help the PO understand the dependencies among items to be used in ordering them

My doubt is why SM can't ask Dev Team to help PO or is this answer wrong?

01:25 pm April 24, 2018

Where did this question come from?   You need to be wary of other sites that claim to have sample Scrum exams, but contains questions that are poorly-worded or actually have a poor understanding of Scrum.

What does the Scrum Guide say about helping the Product Owner with Product Backlog maintenance?

10:42 pm April 24, 2018

What were the other three possible answers?  Perhaps this was a technically correct answer, but not the best answer available of the choices given?

In this case, It isn't clear what the root cause of the PO's problem is.  If the PO's problem stems from a misunderstanding of dependencies, then this might be a very good answer.  However if the problem is that they don't understand the product and stakeholder needs, would discussion with the developers help?

06:47 am April 25, 2018

After reading the Scrum Guide, can you think of any reason at all why a Development Team wouldn’t help a Product Owner to understand the dependencies among items? What might the consequences be of such a failing?

02:55 pm April 26, 2018

@Jason, I don't know now what were the other options. Your explanation looks valid to me. I think the PSM1 exam will not have any question with incomplete details or will not have any ambiguity.

@Ian, I understand now that Dev team can help PO in understanding the dependencies among PBIs. The question/options should have clear details of what kind of help is PO seeking.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses.

10:41 am April 27, 2018

I can imagine that the scrum master should not act as a Proxy between the developement team and the product owner. Instead the scrum master should teach the product owner to take the opinion of the dev. Team into account. This is also acknowledged in the scrum guide:  The Product Owner may do the above work, or have the Development Team do it. However, the Product Owner remains accountable.

06:06 am April 30, 2018

Sure, but the ScrumMaster should facilitate a discussion between the development team and the Product Owner, if necessary.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.