Skip to main content

Failed PSM I - Please Help!

Last post 01:38 pm April 28, 2018 by BHANU PRATAP
5 replies
11:53 pm April 23, 2018

Greetings all,

I took my PSM I exam tonight and did not pass. In fact, I scored lower than I would like to admit, but I think that was primarily due to only being able to get through 70 of the 80 questions. 

Does anyone have experience with failing the PSM I bc of time constraints? If so, I'd be grateful for any feedback or tips that can help me get through this exam with more speed. In addition, any successful study collateral that helped improve scores would be greatly appreciated as well. 

Thank you all for your time!

03:22 pm April 26, 2018

I followed the recommendations of others on this board and don't have anything else to add: 1.  read the Scrum Guide several times (read actively, think about the implications of everything).  2.  Take the Open Assessments until you consistently get 100% in less than 4 minutes.  3.  Use the resources on Mikhail Lapshin's site, which are fantastic.  4. Read the blog posts.  They give you valuable insights about applying Scrum principles to the type of hypothetical situations you might find on a test.

If you do all of that you'll pass with flying colors.

09:52 am April 27, 2018

Hi Seth,

First and foremost: do not let down!

In addition to what Arthur says, being short of time might be a symptom for needing more training on some PSM areas. Review your results sent by scrum.org to your mail. There you'll find the feedback about the areas you need more focus on. Questions falling in those "weak" areas are the ones slowing you down during the exam, so each time you need to check the Scrum Guide, review your notes or simply think more on them it consequently eats up a bit more of your exam time. A nice approach when in doubt is to mark the answer(s) you feel correct and bookmark the question for later review. If the case is that you are bookmarking a lot of them (let's say more than 20? in my case) looks like you still need more training. Memorize but also feel confident on what you are answering, and also deep-know why the other answers are not correct or less correct from a Scrum point of view. Hypothetical situations are exactly that, hypothetical, but they are based upon reality. If you have none to little experience on practicing scrum for real you'd find them quite too much to tackle in 40 seconds. You should be able to go over the 80 questions once in 20-25 minutes, then do a second pass spending more time on your bookmarks to deliver a right answer.  

Also consider buying some online resources like mplaza and others you may find throughout this forum. Even though you must take a bit of care about their questions/answers since they are not 'official' resources, they make a good job on training your velocity and orienting about how to perform faster.

Hope this helps.

10:48 am April 27, 2018

Hi Seth - What books have you used for your studying?  You now have some empirical evidence of what the exam is like, how might you adapt the next time you try the PSM I?

Keep at it - next time will be better if you use the feedback on areas to improve.

Chris

03:02 pm April 27, 2018

It takes practice. It also really takes a solid understanding of the Scrum Guide because otherwise, you spend too much time thinking about what the answer is.

Something else that seems a bit unorthodox but will help, take the Open Assessments and look for the blatantly wrong answers. In other words, your goal score should be 0 within 4 minutes. Do this in conjunction with making 100 on the Open Assessment within 4 minutes.

The reason is because if you keep redoing the Open Assessment, you start memorizing the answer to certain questions and you stop thinking about the answer. Switch gears to point out the obvious wrong answers will shock your brain and help your learning. 

01:38 pm April 28, 2018

Make your self comfortable with Scrum Guide & Scrum open assessment before attempting the exam. Read about burn-down & burn-up chart as well.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.