Skip to main content

Product Owner and Customer

Last post 07:24 am May 8, 2018 by Dirk Wiesner
5 replies
06:54 am May 3, 2018

Dear Forum,

is the Product Owner the same person like the customer?

Thx

05:35 am May 4, 2018

Hi Dirk, 

To be honest a little bit strange question :)) if I understand you correct, no, the Product Owner is not the same person as a customer. Product Owner is the person who is making product (with entire Scrum Team) for customer (no matter which type of customer it is).

06:26 am May 4, 2018

Well, it depends. If you're offering SW development as a service, the customer (i.e. the organisation paying you to develop the software) may also designate on of their own as the Product Owner. That, however, requires some serious collaboration skills on both sides.

08:50 am May 7, 2018

I meant: There is one company being paied for developping software, and the other company (customer) odering and paying for.

Is the Product Owner an employee of the software company? or employee of the ordering company?

06:30 am May 8, 2018

I meant: There is one company being paied for developping software, and the other company (customer) odering and paying for.

Is the Product Owner an employee of the software company? or employee of the ordering company?

It depends. Both are possibilities with advantages and disadvantages.

A PO from the SW company will typically have more exposure to the developers and is easier to work with on a daily basis. But he's usually not empowered to make meaningful decisions about the product (such as dropping a feature from the backlog if he believes it no longer brings any value).

Depending on the product and the setup between SW company and customer, you could opt for one or the other.

07:24 am May 8, 2018

thanks, think I got it now!

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.