Skip to main content

Agile for infrastructure related project

Last post 01:33 pm June 11, 2018 by Ali Kraufvelin
2 replies
12:42 am June 10, 2018

hello! 

Reading the forum and scrum manifesto/ guide, agile seems to be primarily focused on software development. We are about to build a new platform that will consist of servers, software, hardware items such as firewalls, load balancers and so forth. With some of these items, agile may not be such an easy fit. For example, for hardware we want to make sure we get our requirements correct as it’s not so easy to change.

But I do like the agile concepts of working close with the business, empowered  cross from functional teams and so forth. 

Does anyone have any knowledge or recommendations to read on Agile for infrastructure projects? 

02:55 am June 10, 2018

Maybe explore PMI's Agile Practice Guide, https://www.pmi.org/pmbok-guide-standards/practice-guides/agile which serves as "..... bridge to understanding the pathways from a predictive approach to an agile approach".

My work is similar to what you described and I find that flow-based agile (Kanban) makes more sense in our situation than iteration-based (Scrum).  I'm currently exploring Kanban Method by David J. Anderson.

06:05 am June 11, 2018

Hi,

I agree with Boon. Kanban might be a better fit for IT OPS related projects. It has been for me in previous projects.

As some recommended reading I suggest The Phoenix Project by Gene Kim; https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Project-DevOps-Helping-Business/dp/09882…

"For example, for hardware we want to make sure we get our requirements correct as it’s not so easy to change."

Make sure you communicate a strong Change Management process and ensure everyone involved knows the in's and out's. There a couple of examples of this in the suggested novel. Good luck!

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.