Skip to main content

Using Redmine and JIRA as the tools for for Scrum

Last post 11:03 am June 22, 2018 by Simon Mayer
5 replies
02:21 pm June 21, 2018

My first year as a ScrumMaster so bare with me as I learn all this as I go...I do not have another ScrumMaster to learn or shadow from.

I am new altogether to JIRA and Redmine so I am learning it as I go. I am a ScrumMaster for 4 teams and 3 of them are using Redmine and 1 is using JIRA. The teams aren't software engineers but mainly network/security/cyber engineers. I think I have Redmine figured out a little bit. Each team has multiple projects and assignments at once so its hard to just focus on one project, its just unrealistic in the environment I am in. The projects in Redmine I have been breaking down as Epic, Story, and Task which would be the backlog/requirements and using Bug as any concerns or roadblocks that come up. How do you for that use Redmine make it work in your Scrum/Agile processes?

For JIRA we list them as DR's-(Discrepancies) then the Backlog are Bugs that fall into the DR's and we carry them into 1 to 2 week Sprints. What are easier or best practices in using JIRA? 

Thank you.

03:07 pm June 21, 2018

Software tools can serve a useful purpose, but they can also be harmful in terms of constraining people within the limitations of the software, and they can often introduce additional complexity that just isn't required.

My advice to most teams would be to use these tools in as simple and lightweight manner as possible, and only use more complex features and configurations when there's empirical evidence for doing so.

I know that doesn't directly answer your question, but perhaps it gives you a starting point to help find the right answer for you and your teams.

03:37 pm June 21, 2018

its hard to just focus on one project, its just unrealistic in the environment I am in.

Think of Scrum not as a way of using tools such as Redmine or Jira, but as a means of actually changing the environment you are in.

04:12 pm June 21, 2018

I am a ScrumMaster for 4 teams and 3 of them are using Redmine and 1 is using JIRA

The number of teams sounds scary. The tool issue does not help.

What are easier or best practices in using JIRA? 

It seems we in JIRA use the same categorization as you in Redmine.

03:22 am June 22, 2018

The teams aren't software engineers but mainly network/security/cyber engineers.

I'm following this topic.

My team is similar: non-developers and no code to integrate or release.  We use JIRA Software in the company so I'm limited to (Create an Agile board) either Scrum board or Kanban board.  So I'm curious how other non-software teams make use of JIRA issue tracking system so I can learn the best practices.

It actually doesn't make sense for sprints because my team is tasked-based.  So to purchase an equipment, raise PO, etc it may or may not be accomplished within the sprint.  As the company has invested in JIRA, we of course must make use of it.

(is there a way to get notification for replies to this thread?)

11:03 am June 22, 2018

As the company has invested in JIRA, we of course must make use of it.

Is that a political decision? It doesn't sound very agile. If an investment turns out not to help in the way that was hoped, wouldn't it make sense to apply the lessons that have been learned?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.