Skip to main content

After PSMI. What to do next? PSM II or PSPO (Newbie SM)

Last post 03:36 pm July 7, 2020 by Shekhar Singh
7 replies
04:00 pm June 25, 2018

Hi all,

I just passed the PSM I (95%) and very excited to continue my learning process of Scrum.  

Currently i work at a company that is starting to transition to agile projects and Im one of the Scrum Masters in training, so my hands on experience is very little.

I would like to get your opinion, as i would like to continue learning and getting some certifications along the way.

Im a bit confused if i should try to get the PSPO I certification, and get the the PO angle of the framework or should i start studying for the PSM II certification to keep focus on the role i will eventually do?

What would you recommend?

Also, are there any books that you recommend me to start with?  Ive heard of Essential Scrum, Scrum Mastery, and Scrum Pocket guide, and others, but i need to start with one, so what any tips on that side? 

Any other tips will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Juan

02:10 am June 26, 2018

try to get the PSPO I certification, and get the the PO angle of the framework

I'm currently reading 'The Professional Product Owner: Leveraging Scrum as a Competitive Advantage' by Don Maria McGreal and Ralph Jocham.

Another good article is http://www.scrumcrazy.com/The+New+New+Product+Owner.

I have read 'Essential Scrum: A Practical Guide to the Most Popular Agile Process by Kenneth S. Rubin.  It is a fixture on my desk.

05:05 am June 26, 2018

Thanks Boon.

07:34 am June 26, 2018

should try to get the PSPO I certification, and get the the PO angle of the framework or should i start studying for the PSM II certification to keep focus on the role i will eventually do?

I can only offer you my experience as an answer. As the next step I did PSPO I. I think it will not destroy your focus, it will just give you a wider angle. After that I did PSM II, and the only "problem" was that I was considering becoming a PO instead of SM :)

01:08 pm June 26, 2018

Thank you for the reply.

@Filip, do you use any book in particular to help you expand on the PO role for the exam?

thanks

10:09 pm June 27, 2018

What's your interest? People and interactions or product development - maybe for a specific business sector? Is your focus rather to stay inside the company with the team or frequently be in contact with users and other stakeholders?

I frequently get ideas for solutions when confronted with a problem so I aimed at PSPO right from the beginning and only did PSM because it was precondition for PSPO in my school.

The roles are significantly different. But as you are working as SM and will also be working with POs you will get an insight into both areas. Maybe give yourself a few weeks time. If you're happy with your current role then it would most probably make sense to deepen it.

07:09 am July 7, 2020

Hey Juan Sanjur, In this race of certification you have to decide what is the objective and intention behind doing it, it depends on your aim what are you looking for? Dcrum.org offer PSM 2, 3, and two others you've mentioned.

How important that would be for future move or achievement, is it required or it is for self-actualization, so I guess you can better answer that for yourself because only you know the direction you are heading to.

If you want to complete all the certification from Scrum.org then you follow this order for taking the assessments is:

PSM-I > PSPO-I > PSD > SPS PSM-II > PAL-I > PSK-I > PSPO-II > PSM-III

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.