Skip to main content

Career transition from production support analyst to scrum master

Last post 01:07 pm June 26, 2018 by Juan Prieto
2 replies
07:29 pm June 25, 2018

Hi,

My background is in, IT production support in investment banking. I am very interested in becoming a scrum master, i have, in my excitement, got PSM I certified :). i need to now start updating my resume and start searching for a job as scrum master, but i am not sure how to start, any suggestions on where i can start looking or is there anything else i need to learn. i have however seen Scrum master in action in one of my old projects and aware of how things work practically. 

Hope i was able to clearly explain, pls let me know if you need more clarification.

Thanks,

Vi

07:11 am June 26, 2018

Hi Vijetha,

in my opinion the best opportunity for you is to seek your dream in the company you're recently working for.

01:07 pm June 26, 2018

How would you start a journey? Just begin to walk.

• Get certified (As you are already doing). It will bring you a solid foundation on scrum, however real experience is paramount.
  • Be curious. Never miss a chance to learn something new. Test yourself. Within your company analyze how things are going with regards to agile and start questioning things to yourself, specially those impediments that are assumed as a given and cannot be changed. Can you turn them around?
  • Be alternative. If your company uses the old approach (waterfall, project managing, etc) then provide alternative ways of reaching goals when uncertainty is laid ahead.
  • Take on the role of scrum master even if there is no framework at all. Take the agile approach in your team group and try out things that you see would improve the current workflow.
  • Read. There are a bunch of great books that will surely make you think further and should prove useful as an inspiration.
  • Write. Get involved. This forum is a valuable resource to share opinions and to learn a lot from it. Other experienced SM's would provide their valuable feedback to your concerns. Meet other professionals in events or workshops if that is at your reach.
  • Reinforce your agile vision aside from scrum framework. The agile manifesto is the foundation where you should relay on too.
  • Pay special attention to your skills as a coach. Listening (real listening), interaction and your vision on human individuals is crucial for a scrum master to succeed.

There is no 'clear' path to become a scrum master nor even being hired as one, however the aforementioned steps (and much others I might be missing) would certainly take you closer to the role, transform your vision and, eventually, emerge to get an opportunity to be hired.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.