Skip to main content

Sprint Review - The Development Team discusses what went well during the Sprint, what problems it ran into, and how those problems were solved?

Last post 04:47 pm June 27, 2018 by Tim M
5 replies
10:26 am June 26, 2018

The scrum guide says, the sprint review includes "The Development Team discusses what went well during the Sprint, what problems it ran into, and how those problems were solved?".

This sounds more like a sprint retrospective thing rather than to be discussed with stakeholders in sprint review. Please help me to understand this activity with some examples, why it has been made part of sprint review.

02:49 pm June 26, 2018

Consider the audience, and the context.

The Development Team is not being asked to reflect on what went well, and what didn't go according to plan.   They're not considering what they may want to try differently going forward (Kaizen).   They're simply reporting to the attending stakeholders how the sprint went, what issues (if any) they encountered, and how they resolved such issues.

09:07 pm June 26, 2018

The Development Team discusses what went well during the Sprint, what problems it ran into, and how those problems were solved

The focus is on inspecting the work which was undertaken in that Sprint. Not all planned tasks may have been accomplished for example, or substantial new work might have been discovered. Think of the Sprint Review as dealing with the product, and the Sprint Retrospective as dealing with the process.

09:41 pm June 26, 2018

There are multiple ways in which this could be useful, but I'll provide one example.

Imagine the Development Team finds that having worked closely with one stakeholder, they were able to release multiple times during the Sprint, and could frequently adapt their approach to the Sprint Goal, based on real customer feedback.

Sharing this information during the Sprint Review may lead to this technique being used again in the future; potentially with other stakeholders. 

03:05 pm June 27, 2018

Thanks Tim, Ian and Simon for sharing your views.

04:47 pm June 27, 2018

Ian is correct but I shy away from having the dev team go into too much technical detail. 

I really try and stay away from this in a sprint review. I don't want to bore the audience with this type of stuff. They don't usually care anyway.It's a time to celebrate the good work they have done in the sprint. ---"The Development Team discusses what went well during the Sprint, what problems it ran into, and how those problems were solved?".----

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.