Skip to main content

Who ensures the entire team understands the goals

Last post 01:07 pm July 6, 2018 by Daniel Rosin
5 replies
09:31 am July 5, 2018

Hi all,

After working as Scrum Master for a year I decided to revise the entire Scrum Guide to check if there is something I am still not sure about and then I came across this formulation:

The Scrum Master serves the Product Owner in several ways, including ensuring that goals, scope, and product domain are understood by everyone on the Scrum Team as well as possible.

I assume that this means that I as Scrum Master should coach the Product Owner to explain the goals, scope and product domain to the team. Is this correctly understood or does it actually means that I should explain this to the team?

02:34 pm July 5, 2018

In addition to the Scrum Master's service to the product owner to help ensure that the goals are understood by everyone on the Scrum Team, the Scrum Master also has a service to the Development Team to help the team create high-value products.

How these two obligations are met will vary. It could very well mean that, as a Scrum Master, you coach the Product Owner in the best ways to explain the goals, scope, and domain to the team. However, if you are very familiar with these things, there's nothing preventing you, as a Scrum Master, from taking a more hands-on approach to making sure that everyone understands the goals. You may also go to the organization to see other domain experts from outside of the Scrum Team, perhaps even outside the organization, to provide the information necessary. There's no one way to do it - the objective of the Scrum Master is simply to ensure that everyone on the Scrum Team understands the goals, scope, and domain.

02:50 pm July 5, 2018

there's nothing preventing you, as a Scrum Master, from taking a more hands-on approach to making sure that everyone understands the goals. 

Somehow I desagree with you.. Just perspective conflicts I think that the Scrum Master shouldn't go deep in the business product matters, but only focus on the process and the scrum adoption.. Of course he can spread the words of the PO like spreading the Sprint Goal, but he shouldn't be able to explain as the PO does. 

02:51 pm July 5, 2018

Sorry for the formatation T.T 

05:11 pm July 5, 2018

The Scrum Master serves the Product Owner in several ways, including ensuring that goals, scope, and product domain are understood by everyone on the Scrum Team as well as possible.

Product Backlog Refinement, Sprint Planning, and the Sprint Review are instrumental in achieving this common understanding. A Scrum Master ought to ensure that team activities and events provide sufficient focus.

09:31 am July 6, 2018

Hi all,

Thanks for your input.

I worked five years as Product Owner before I started to work as Scrum Master. As Product Owner I would have appreciated that the Scrum Master assisted me in ensuring that the team understands goals, scope and the business domain (it did not happened during these years though) as Thomas Owens suggests that that the Scrum Master can do if he/she knows what he/she is talking about.

However, as Product Owner I would have only appreciated this service from the Scrum Master if it was made in close cooperation with me so that I as Product Owner and the Scrum Master did not present conflicting views As Thiago Cunha points out I think that is an apparent risk otherwise.

As Scrum Master I will probably limit my self to coach the Product Owner to take the opportunity to explain the goals, scope and business domain at the refinement, planning and review as Ian Mitchell suggests.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.