Skip to main content

Can scrum master coach individual team member

Last post 08:43 pm July 10, 2018 by Ratnakumar Umavenkata Lekkala
6 replies
12:39 pm July 10, 2018

I have seen in scrum framework/nexus framework, scrum master will help development team or scrum teams to coach scrum values, principles.Does as a scrum master can he teach individual when a teams progress is blocked by individual team member.

02:45 pm July 10, 2018

Hi Balakrishnarao, 

If I understood you right, this action has to be done by Dev Team, not by the Scrum Master. Of course it is not prohibited to make such action by the SM, but it will be much more useful and effective to resolve issues inside the team.  

03:15 pm July 10, 2018

Why not?

But before having a conversation with the team mamber, how did the development team think?

Are there any team member come to you to express their concerns?

Is the topic raised at the sprint retrospective?

04:32 pm July 10, 2018

I think it depends on what the problem is. I'm not a developer, never have been and likely never will be. If I were the SM on this team and the problem is the dev needs help with development; I'm the last person you would want teaching this person. However, if the impediment is this dev doesn't understand scrum at all and because of that he/she is blocking progress; absolutely it should fall to the SM to help with this training.

Overall, it comes down to "what is best for the team"

08:33 pm July 10, 2018

I have seen in scrum framework/nexus framework, scrum master will help development team or scrum teams to coach scrum values, principles

yes as a SM it is your responsibility to ensure every individual is instilled with the Agile knowledge, Scrum values and principles. You can do this coaching at individual level and/or group setting . Read the book "Coaching Agile Teams" by Lisa Adkins. There is a lot of emphasis on the importance of individual coaching for those who are lagging in the transformation to agile mindset.

08:40 pm July 10, 2018

If I understood you right, this action has to be done by Dev Team, not by the Scrum Master.

Orkhan, I don't think you understood right. He is talking about teaching scrum values and principles, not how to do the work on a PBI. Therefore you are pitching two completely different responsibilities (listed below) from the Scrum guide against each other.

1. The Scrum Master is responsible for promoting and supporting Scrum as defined in the Scrum Guide. Scrum Masters do this by helping everyone understand Scrum theory, practices, rules, and values.
  2. They (The Development Team) are self-organizing. No one (not even the Scrum Master) tells the Development Team how to turn Product Backlog into Increments of potentially releasable functionality;

08:43 pm July 10, 2018

If I were the SM on this team and the problem is the dev needs help with development; 

Curtis, this user needed help with scrum values and principles not with development.

The Scrum Master is responsible for promoting and supporting Scrum as defined in the Scrum Guide. Scrum Masters do this by helping everyone understand Scrum theory, practices, rules, and values - Scrum Guide

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.