Skip to main content

PO and Development Team collaboration

Last post 04:32 pm July 23, 2018 by Ashok Kumar Singh
6 replies
06:33 am July 15, 2018

Hello all,

I am Business Analyst and recently started working as PO for a new project. Scrum is new for all members in the team, but we have  experience scrum master & coach, helping us.

As a BA i had much better collaboration and direct communication with development team

But in agile it is not the case, every query, every meeting with development team must go through scrum master. 

Team doesnt discuss / clarify any requirement during the sprint and only discuss at end of the sprint

What measures I should take PO, to improve the collaboration with development team.

06:21 am July 18, 2018

Hi, 

"But in agile it is not the case, every query, every meeting with development team must go through scrum master" 

This is not correct, the scrum master is otherwise a bottleneck. Scrum Master should help facilitating scrum events or other meetings as requested or needed. 

"Team does'nt discuss / clarify any requirement during the sprint and only discuss at end of the sprint"

Have you brought up this topic into the retrospective meeting or at any time? 

"What measures I should take PO, to improve the collaboration with development team."

Have you been available and present to the team often? For example, being present (not participating) in the daily meeting to be available for questions?

Just FYI

As a new team in scrum, it seems to me that the development team is on the "storming phase" according to tuckman's model of the stages of group development.

It is quite crucial at this stage that the Scrum Master encourage the development team to talk between each other and also with stakeholders outside the team itself. Scrum Master should also focus that there is a smooth communication between all parties by teaching and facilitating. 

12:24 am July 19, 2018

What measures I should take PO, to improve the collaboration with development team.

What transparency is there over the impact of these restrictions?

Are you agreeing a Sprint Goal with the Development Team during Sprint Planning? If so, are the team then failing to meet the goals and to deliver increments of release quality?

05:26 am July 23, 2018

Dear Lan , Just curious to know what is the role of Solution Architect or Technical Architect in Estimating the story point in Scrum? As per my understanding that this role does not play any role in estimating story point until and unless they are involved in Development work.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

I understand this is not related to this topic which you have mentioned but wanted to clarify it.

03:15 pm July 23, 2018

As a BA i had much better collaboration and direct communication with development team

There is no reason to stop direct communication with the dev team, now that you are a PO. Unless of course that would only be used to make things work when not enough work was invested into making PBI "ready" for the dev team to understand and tackle. So: you can communicate with the dev team, if they need it. You on the other hand should maybe focus more on backlog refinement with them.

03:18 pm July 23, 2018

what is the role of Solution Architect or Technical Architect in Estimating the story point in Scrum?

The parties you listed seem like important stakeholders. Team could decide to invite them to backlog refinement sessions so that they could share their input regarding details of PBI, including but not limited to amount of work involved. However, ultimatly this is the development team that is responsible for estimation.

04:06 pm July 23, 2018

Thanks Filip

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.