Skip to main content

Professional Scrum Developer (PSD I) Assessement

Last post 09:22 pm July 18, 2018 by Rami Kaibni
9 replies
04:00 am July 18, 2018

Hello Everyone, 

Earlier this year, I wanted to take the PSD I Assessment but noticed from the Open Scrum Developer exam that many questions are strictly software related so I was hesitant to go ahead because my background is not in IT and my knowledge of the technical terms is just enough. I am not sure if my conclusion was correct or not but maybe you can provide soem insights. 

On the other hand, and while I totally understand that scrum is frequently applied in software, I believe this assessment should be generic (The role of the development team in any project implementing scrum, responsibilities, and so on) just like that of the Scrum Master and Product Owner because scrum can really be applied in any industry either as a framework on its own or as a hybrid with other models depending on the industry and project but with the current setup of the assessment, it makes it strictly, in a way,  IT related. 

What are your thoughts on this ? 

Cheers,

RK

06:30 am July 18, 2018

I'm also interested in hearing what people have to say on this. I had taken the open assessment, expecting (due to my software developer background) that it'd be easy. I actually think there are some additional practices I would need to learn to stand a good chance of passing the real thing, and that hasn't been a high enough priority for me yet.

On the other hand, and while I totally understand that scrum is frequently applied in software, I believe this assessment should be generic (The role of the development team in any project implementing scrum, responsibilities, and so on) just like that of the Scrum Master and Product Owner because scrum can really be applied in any industry

I would also like that (or more to the point, I think there is value in a developer assessment that does not apply to a specific domain), but if you read what Scrum.org is about, you'll see software mentioned frequently. Given this particular exam's associated course has been so heavily, and historically coupled to software development, I don't expect it to dramatically change any time soon.

06:45 am July 18, 2018

Simon,

I do not disagree with your last statememt but it is all about inspection and adaption. Now that scrum is applicable widely and in many industries, the Scrum Development Team should not be limited to software related activities and terminologies and should be more generic. For the most part, scrum.org did a great job in administering all their exam so I hope this will soon apply to the PSD assessment. 

07:10 am July 18, 2018

I post an topic several years ago. I don't know if it's helpful to you.

https://www.scrum.org/forum/scrum-forum/6438/passed-psd-1-94-score

The MSDN links in the topic are invalidated. Microsoft seems to have stopped maintaining the site.

The good news, though, is that the MSDN library is now free to download. You can download and install to your computer before looking for these ALM-related articles.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20955

09:00 am July 18, 2018

I haven't even considered taking the PSD for the reasons discussed here. I don't understand the value that it provides. When I took the Developer Open, at least half the questions were specifically about software development, and many were on concepts outside of the Scrum Guide. Although I don't necessarily disagree with the questions or their answers, I feel that it spending 6 months working in a Scrum Team under a capable Scrum Master and Product Owner would be far, far more useful for learning how to work well on a Scrum Team.

I'm also considering the fact that Scrum is a framework - as a Development Team member, the way to participate in Daily Scrums or Backlog Refinement or Sprint Reviews and Sprint Retrospectives is going to vary by the team. When applying Scrum, the rest of the Development Team (and perhaps the Scrum Master and Product Owner) will coach and mentor the developer with how the team specifically conducts these activities.

02:55 pm July 18, 2018

While it is true that Scrum itself is applicable to much more than just Software Development, Scrum.org's Mission statement specifically is "Improving the Profession of Software Delivery". Scrum.org, as I understand it, has very specifically focussd on Scrum within Software Development because it is something Ken Schwaber cares deeply about.

So it isn't all that strange that they offer courses and exams that are focussed on software development.

04:25 pm July 18, 2018

Thomas: I tend to agree with you. I hope someone from scrum.org can shed a light on this matter. 

Julian: No one said it is strange and this is totally understood but things change and again, it is all about inspection and adaption. If scrum.org wants to grow as an organization for Scrum, they can't remain limited to Software Development, unless this is their end goal, I am not sure but from what I can see, I believe scrum.org are going moving towards that direction of diversity because they recently changed their certificates for example. Now the new certificates do not show: "Improving the Profession of Software Development" while the old certificates (Before February 2018), used to have this statement on them. All their certifications are Scrum related but not software specific except for the PSD which I believe should be revisited as an assessment. I hope someone from scrum.org can chime in and shed a light on this. 

05:45 pm July 18, 2018

I agree with Rami.  The Scrum Guide specifically says Scrum is for complex processes beyond just software, and they even list a few.  Therefore, the Scrum role of "developer" must apply to more than just software development.  The test should reflect that.

07:16 pm July 18, 2018

Thank you for this thoughtful discussion. While the role of “Developer” on the Scrum Team doesn’t necessarily mean people who develop software, the PSD course and assessment were created with the intention of improving software delivery. For more information on why this is, please see Ken Schwaber’s statement on creating the “Scrum Developer” program on this page.

Scrum.org continues to add new courses and assessments that go beyond just software, but our PSD program currently focuses on technology. We may look into evolving it in the future, but have no plans at this time.

I hope we were able to address your concerns about the PSD.

09:22 pm July 18, 2018

Thanks a lot for your kind feedback and clarification - Very much appreciated ! You do oa good job at administering the assessements and I am glad to be part of this community. Cheers !

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.