Skip to main content

Specific role in team developer

Last post 07:06 pm August 1, 2018 by Ian Mitchell
9 replies
02:51 pm July 30, 2018

Is it possible in developer  team have a specific role?

05:04 am July 31, 2018

No, we should not start creating a bias within the developer teams by have specific roles.

The team is self-organizing and cross-functional.

In Scrum, we dont recognize any title for Development Team members.

Individual Development Team members may have specialized skills and areas of focus, but accountability belongs to the Development Team.

So have developer  having specific role doesnt really apply.

07:29 am July 31, 2018

What does Scrum Guide have to say about it?

10:15 am July 31, 2018

Also, what is the meaning of a cross-functional dev team?

10:15 am July 31, 2018

I don´t know. I can´t find anything about it anywhere.

11:40 am July 31, 2018

Is it possible in developer  team have a specific role?

Yes, it is possible.

But you should also consider whether it is helpful.

02:00 pm July 31, 2018

For me is not helpful, but the company´s manager request this. I think this can make the team be divide

05:22 pm July 31, 2018

For me is not helpful, but the company´s manager request this. I think this can make the team be divide

I agree it can lead to division, but the scariest thing to me is it sounds like the manager may be imposing his or her own way of working on to the team.

Why does the manager want this? Do the team want to work in this way?

If you read the section of the Scrum Guide, headed "The Scrum Team", do you think that's the kind of team your manager wants in your company?

06:55 am August 1, 2018

A cross-functional team is a group of people with different functional expertise working toward a common goal. 

Developers should be able to work on any functionality. However, when a developer works on specific functions/domain etc for a long duration and have gained expertise on those specific functionality. 

07:06 pm August 1, 2018

In Scrum the Development Team is a role which comprises of between 3 and 9 people. That should tell you something about:

- its nature, and the importance of collaboration when implementing it

- the potential risks to its implementation should members try to fulfill more “specific” roles

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.