Skip to main content

Scrum Forum/Community Improvement Suggestions

Last post 09:13 am August 3, 2018 by Gunther Firk
2 replies
03:39 pm August 2, 2018

Dear Colleagues and Scrum.org Support Team,

Scrum.org community is getting larger and larger and amount of content (both valuable and not so) on Forum is getting bigger and bigger.

This leads to quite difficult navigation (let's exclude "search" option for now).

So I have several questions/suggestions:

1. Are there any plans on getting a more comprehesive forum where we will have sub-categories for content like (this just a basic idea):

- Exam Experience / Preparation / Materials / Recommended Provides (Split by Exam)

- Implementation Advice / Knowledge Sharing

- etc. etc.

This will significantly boost the forum's usability and content transparency

2. Can somebody explain a need for pre-moderation of content before making it public? A forum is a community tool for sharing and communication. Taking into account that the community is global but support team has "working hours" - pre-moderation becomes a bottleneck for smooth communication within the community. Much easier is to make reactive moderation with the voluntary involvement of key community members which will also make 24/7 support possible. At least this sounds the right approach for forum support, I'm not considering this approach for other types of support.

3. Why not also consider an implementation of chat functionality within the community? It works great on the example of such huge communities like GMATClub and will reduce the amount of non-value-added content on the forum. Clear example - forum topics like "I passed an exam, say congrats to me". I do understand that people are happy and want to share this happiness with others but the forum should be a knowledge tool for the community. Some of these topics really add value, where people share how they prepared for an exam but LITERALLY, all these cases can be accumulated in one topic that will be pinned on top of the Forum.

I'm not trying to say that everything is bad. I'm trying to say that you/me/we can do it better.

05:28 pm August 2, 2018

Hello Stanislav,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and with the communtiy. I hope we'll be able to address the points you've brought up.

1. This is a great suggestion. We will work within our backlog to prioritize and evaluate adding sub-categories, among other ideas.
  2. We have a trust rating system for users who haven't posted to our forums before. Once a user gets a certain number of posts approved, they are then free to post immediately, however Scrum.org still reserves the right to remove content if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. We have this system in place because we need a certain level of protection due to the open nature of the forum. For example, inappropriate content and links which you never have to see, but our moderators do.  Our turnaround is consistently within one business day of submission.
  3. Another good thought. We will add this to the conversations around your first suggestion.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback, and enjoy your day!

09:13 am August 3, 2018

It is just my mind I do not want to argue with anybody, but don't you think that the forum is an old instrument to discuss about something (here about Scrum). Yes, about 10-15 years ago forums were very popular but now it is much more easy to discuss and to talk in Facebook or in LinkedIn rather than in forum. 

Again this is just my mind and I do not want to say that this is the only one right mind. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.