Skip to main content

Failed first attempts!!

Last post 08:48 am August 9, 2018 by Ching-Pei Li
5 replies
01:10 am August 8, 2018

Many people would be here to share the happiness of passing exams with high scores.

But what I would like to share is the happiness of failures.

Because of failures, I know where I need to strengthen my study.

Most of my certifications were passed after a second attempt.

Here are the results of these failed attempts:

• PSD I : 84
  • PSM II : 83.3
  • PAL I : 82.3
  • PSM III : 70

I have had nearly 30 years of development experience, with years of agile development experience. These failed grades are very satisfying to me. Especially for a non-native English speaker, I've been very pleased with myself for having 70 points on the first attempt at PSM III.

On the other hand, I'm curious to know why some people can get 97.5 or even 100 on the first attempt, but ask some very basic or even scrum Guide to find out directly.

For those people, have you ever wondered what you lost while learning about Scrum and passing the certification exam?

01:33 am August 8, 2018

Ching,

Same deal here years of experience but still had to study. I took the PSM 1 in 2 consecutive days and failed both times. I was stunned because I said ahhh I got this but the questions did not register with me. 

I had 6 Scrum Alliance Certs in the past so I thought I knew how to take these tests.

Subsequently I did not make the same mistake with the PSPO or SPS. I am even studying for the Kanban even though I know Kanban very well. 

It could be the way we think our " Experience" may hinder us to some degree. While a newbie or newer person absorbs the scrum guide differently than we do. Maybe their mind is more fresh than ours. As I tout here way too much I look for answers on what really happens in a real work environment.

I notice this board is different than other forums I am on. This board really clings to scrum theory and the scrum guide nothing wrong with that but they struggle to get out of the box.

Good topic.

10:05 am August 8, 2018

Ching-Pei, this topic is just a good later example why I had included your name over here - we should learn from failures and should celebrate subsequent successes.

Unlike you, however, I wouldn't feel comfortable celebrating failures, finding happiness in it.... until today that is - you just taught me there can be happiness in failure. Thank you. 

12:33 am August 9, 2018

@Eugene

I'm glad my contributions helped!

Failure is a part of my life, but also the way to success.

Taiwan has a deceased operating God, Wang Yung-ching, he has a famous saying "When you fall, don't rush to get up, see if there is money on the ground can pick up".

When you are familiar with empiricism, failure is no longer a fear. 

Transparency, Inspection, Adaptation.

How far is the distance between failure and success?

May be 2 hours, such as PSD I. 

It could be three years, such as PSM III.

Yes, three years. I spent three years training my English writing skills and understanding and practicing the core values of Scrum. But even if certified, there are still many topics that need to be strengthened.

02:50 am August 9, 2018

Hi Ching,

Your real experience on Inspect and Adapt will definitely help others who are not able to get scucess in their first attempt.

Wish you a good luck!

08:48 am August 9, 2018

@Dan

It could be the way we think our " Experience" may hinder us to some degree. 

Experience is valuable. But experience can also blind the truth. Because people may still be able to interpret their experiences incorrectly or apply them to inappropriate

situations.

It's still the same sentence. I am not a well trained scrum practitioner, the vast majority of knowledge is from my personal practices and experiences, so I constantly through reading and professional certification to verify the correctness of my knowledge, and constantly inspect and adapt.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.