Skip to main content

NPS / SCRUM

Last post 01:50 am August 12, 2018 by Marco Glorie
4 replies
09:40 pm August 10, 2018

For those of us here that might be familiar with NPS, I needed a way to simply and easily show the correlation between the two.  This may have already been done a gagillion times someplace but I couldn't find it out here or on the web.  Everyone has an opinion and I'd like to hear yours.

Thanks

** I'm not affiliated with them but you can find out more about NPS and Satmetrix here if you like https://www.satmetrix.com/nps-score-model/

My model is here

https://indd.adobe.com/view/34be1053-0a29-4ab7-bd4a-43f3b7036ee6

10:42 am August 11, 2018

Jim, I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do. Are you trying to measure the NPS of customers, team members, or someone else?

Why exactly do you want to do this? 

01:13 pm August 11, 2018

This is to represent the connection of NPS to Scrum/Agile based on the foundation of business architecture and the three legs theory.  There are huge companies that are solely driven by NPS however DevOps/Operations is rarely mentioned (or left out) when trying to show the value they bring.  When performing root cause analysis based "detractors" it can be easy to get lost at the frontline personnel when the real impact may be further down.  

Are you familiar with NPS?  If not this might help further if you want to learn more.  Also they have about 150 podcasts as well.

https://www.bain.com/

01:16 pm August 11, 2018

Sorry, I didn't answer your question directly.  I'm not trying to measure NPS but show the direct correlation to how NPS is tied to Scrum/Agile at the core level in many cases.  Purely a representation to show this.

01:50 am August 12, 2018

Hi Jim,

Did not dive into your model, but I can say the following. NPS can be driver for setting goals that a certain team or multiple teams want to achieve. Scrum has no direct relation to NPS scores, except that userstories are aimed to achieve business value. Within a certain context (customer facing applications, call centers), NPS scores could very well be a good way to define the business value that is aimed for and to measure afterwards.

As an organisation you probably have goals and there would be multiple scrum teams to execute on achieving these goals. For example:

Goal 1: increase NPS score on product Y with 10% by end of 2018

Goal 2: reduce run costs of application chain X with 5% by end of 2019

Goal 3: introduce product Z for new market A by Q1 2019 for customer segment H 

Typically you would define epics & features that as an organization you think will enable to achieve these goals.

Reality and strategic planning of course needs to get together somehow. There are are tools available that can support you in this process, such as A-ha, Priooo and Roadmunk. 

To get back to your question; NPS metrics could be one of the drivers of your organisation/teams business value estimations for epics, features and product backlog items in scrum way of working.

Happy to hear if this helps you :)

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.