Skip to main content

Keeping the Time in Review Meeting

Last post 06:31 pm August 23, 2018 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
12:13 pm August 23, 2018

Hello,

how do you handle the time of the review length.

I have some developers who really like to go in detail about their accomplishments.

How do you stop them? I have a feeling by doing so essential features will be left out. But if i let them speak the review prolongues to 50% more review duration.

04:49 pm August 23, 2018

Hi Tom - Please provide a few more details. 

• What is the length of your Sprint and amount of hours spent in your Sprint Review?
  • At the end of the Sprint Review time-box, has the current Increment been inspected by stakeholders with valuable and transparent feedback provided to the Development Team? 
  • Are they going in detail to provide transparency?  Or to get a pat on teh back?
  • Has there been enough collaboration between the Scrum Team and stakeholders to adapt the Product Backlog for the next Sprint?

Are you looking for the Sprint Review to be efficient or effective? 

Chris

05:55 pm August 23, 2018

Tom,

Something to keep in mind - the Sprint Review is for the Development Team facilitates the discussion and provides the demonstration.   It sounds like your team still consists of members who like to highlight their individual contributions.

One thing you may want to try is to rotate team members into the facilitation role.   They will be the point person to present all completed sprint work, instead of asking individuals on the Development Team to discuss what they did.   This can help improve team collaboration and maturity.

06:31 pm August 23, 2018

But if i let them speak the review prolongues to 50% more review duration.

Do the team follow up the Sprint Review with a Sprint Retrospective? If the Sprint Review time-box has been exceeded, the incident should be quite fresh in their minds.

So during a Retrospective, what do they have to say on the matter and do they recognize their inability to keep to the earlier time-box as a problem? 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.