Skip to main content

PSK / Forecasting

Last post 01:38 am August 27, 2018 by Ching-Pei Li
2 replies
04:08 pm August 26, 2018

I am reading the book Practical Kanban to prepare for PSK and I have a question: there is a huge part of the book regarding Forecasting. Honestly - sometimes it even controversies with Scrum. So my question is: will there be at PSK question regarding Kanban forecasting principles or not? In my mind, there should not, because it is not related to Scrum. 

Sorry if this question violates any of scrum.org rule. Many thanks in advance!

05:38 pm August 26, 2018

I don't remember whether I encountered a question specifically about forecasting, but it is important to consider how forecasting may be affected.

The Kanban Guide for Scrum Teams does not invalidate anything in the Scrum Guide. But teams that also use Kanban, may find that their existing processes no longer work for them. Within the Scrum Framework, they may find different ways of working.

It could be, for example, that a Scrum Team optimizes its flow so effectively, that empirical forecasts can be made about the number of items that will be Done within a Sprint.

It may be that the Development Team does not know at the start of a Sprint, what work it will pick up that doesn't relate to the Sprint Goal. It could be that their forecast is a combination of specific items they believe they will need to complete, and the number of currently unknown Product Backlog Items they expect to be able to complete during the Sprint.

01:38 am August 27, 2018

Forecast is very important for agile development. The difference is to refer to what metrics and forecast what. 

The Development Team forecasts the workload for the future in the Sprint planning. The Product Owner also forecasts the release time based on the progress that the development team has completed.

Kanban Guide for Scrum Teams

An SLE forecasts how long it should take a given item to flow from start to finish within your workflow. The SLE itself has two parts: a period of elapsed days and a probability associated with that period (e.g., "85% of work items will be finished in eight days or less").

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.