Skip to main content

Product Owner - Roadmap templates

Last post 08:54 am August 29, 2018 by Ian Mitchell
5 replies
12:43 pm August 28, 2018

I'm a new PO and I look after about 6 different products and there will be about 3 more added in the coming months.

My products are websites.

I'm trying to design a roadmap in excel thats easy to understand and follow, but i can't seem to nail it.

Are there any good samples of roadmaps from a PO with 9+ products.

Any help would be great

thanks.

01:47 pm August 28, 2018

Leaving Excel aside for the moment: how are you currently describing a long-term release plan for each product, and how are those products related?

04:13 pm August 28, 2018

Hi,

What do you mean by "related" - they are all different websites, While they have a similar niche they are different

Also what do you mean by "describing" ?

Do these things matter to my opening question ?

Most of the products are at different phases of there lifecycle. Some are new / some are in planning / some are old and getting updates.

05:41 pm August 28, 2018

What do you mean by "related" - they are all different websites, While they have a similar niche they are different

Are there any dependencies between them, such that the content or ordering of items on one Product Backlog might affect another?

Also what do you mean by "describing" ?

Do these things matter to my opening question ?

There’s no reason not to capture a “roadmap” in Excel, but you should first consider why a suitable level of planning cannot be adequately expressed via each Product Backlog.

In what form is each Product Backlog currently expressed, and what sort of information are you hoping to capture in a roadmap?

08:40 am August 29, 2018

Ah I see what you mean

Well, The product backlog currently only exists for current products and holds bugs / minor updates.

The older sites/products don’t have big projects assigned to them at the moment and if / when they do it will be added to the backlog.

I want a roadmap, so I can shop the management where we are going 6-12-18 months down the line.

Also planning new products that don’t have a backlog yet ( but will once planning starts as per the road map)

I’ve kinda of resolved this issue, I’ve done 2 things.

1. Did an overview of each year (2018/2019) with each year broken down into Quarters and then added projects to each area
  2. I also did a more detailed roadmap showing each teams tasks / a start date / an end date.

It appears to be what I need for now.

08:54 am August 29, 2018

At some future point you might want to consider using a portfolio-level Kanban with management, rather than a spreadsheet.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.