Skip to main content

Role of client in the SCRUM cycle?

Last post 04:38 pm September 26, 2018 by Karol Kłaczyński
3 replies
08:42 am September 24, 2018

Hi,

i would like to have an expert opinion on role of client/customer in SCRUM cycle. I am asking since I am involved in one environment where customer and development company created a "joint team" that works on all SCRUM/Sprints, from sprint planning meeting, to daily scrum meetings and sprint review meetings.

I have a feeling that this is not a "standard approach", since based on my understanding a customer can be a Product owner, but not a Scrum master, or member of a daily scrum meetings?

I would like to hear experience you had in similar projects and your suggestions?

thank you in advance

01:11 pm September 25, 2018

I have a feeling that this is not a "standard approach", since based on my understanding a customer can be a Product owner, but not a Scrum master, or member of a daily scrum meetings?

From your reading of the Scrum Guide, is it forbidden for a customer to be a Scrum Master or to occupy a position on the Development Team? If you have such an arrangement, what difficulties do you anticipate arising, or what problems are you currently experiencing?

11:14 am September 26, 2018

Hello , 

Yes, This is not a standard approach. Customer cannot be part of Daily Scrum meetings as this will cause distractions for the development team. As a scrum master , it is your duty to make them understand that there presence in Daily standup call might create issues among team members. 

Product owner should be in constant touch with customer to understand the business requirements and maintain product backlog accordingly. Other then that customer should not interfere in any other event except Scrum Review/Demo. 

Let me know if you have any specific issue. I'll try to help.

12:12 pm September 26, 2018

Hey,

I guess the first thing we need to clarify what do you mean by "customer"? Is it a customer of the development company or the end-user of the system for whom the value is created?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.