Skip to main content

Development Day For Software Engineers

Last post 08:28 am September 28, 2018 by Juan Prieto
4 replies
08:06 pm September 26, 2018

Hi-

Does anyone use development days for the folks on your team?  I am considering adding this to the sprints to break up the day to day to give people freedom to come up with new ideas.  I am looking for how much time is allocated and expectations from the developer (I.E., lunch and learn). 

12:21 am September 27, 2018

Well, It seems to be a good practise to reserve some hours between sprints, to let the team shows and discourse about new technologies, patterns and so on. But it can't  make the team slower to get the realese date. I have done this between sprint review and sprint retrospective, in the same day. But remember, there is no Software Engineers in scrum, only development team.

08:50 am September 27, 2018

One way can be to can consider 5.5 hours per day if a person is working 8 hours/day. Rest 2.5 can be utilized for Scrum events.

08:49 pm September 27, 2018

One thing I will point out is that the Scrum states that the next sprint starts immediately after the end of the previous. So the suggestion to add Development Days between the sprints will interrupt that cadence.  

My question is what problem are you trying to solve by doing these?  What kind of value do they provide? Your idea to add them to sprints seems a bit counter to the purpose of sprinting and scrum.  If a developer has an idea that could provide value, they should talk to the PO and get Product Backlog Items added to accomplish the work.  Part of agile/empiricism is the ability to experiment with things to see if the perceived value can be realized.  These seem like good candidates for that if I am understanding the basis of your suggestion.

08:28 am September 28, 2018

If a developer has an idea that could provide value, they should talk to the PO and get Product Backlog Items added to accomplish the work.

Additionally, Scrum provides many oportunities throughout the sprint where these ideas may be surfaced and become transparent. Also, one of the scrum master's activities is to facilitating creativity not by merely implementing the framework but encouraging the development team to consider new potential points of view about the product and its value.

Do you have any evidence that development days would provide extra benefits to your scrum team? If so, which are those?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.