Skip to main content

Conflicts between team members

Last post 02:23 pm October 5, 2018 by Larry Blankenship
4 replies
09:20 am October 4, 2018

Hi,

I am confronted for the first time to a situation where I had conflicts between different team members. I discussed with them, so the situation is better. But I want to erase this tension in the retropsective. Any ideas?

Thanks!

03:27 pm October 4, 2018

If you succeeded in erasing tension within your improving team, what might the consequences be for productive dissent?

07:24 pm October 4, 2018

I wouldn't "erase this tension in the retrospective".  Instead I would encourage it to be discussed.  Sometimes tension is needed in order to get a team to higher levels.  This is all part of the Scrum Values of trust, openness, courage, and respect.  While you have talked about it with the individuals, the rest of the team might benefit from discussing it also so that the individuals can see how they impacted everyone else. 

I don't see this as an impediment so why are you trying so hard to remove it?  @Ian's question is spot on.  What is the harm in productive dissent?

07:30 pm October 4, 2018

I would  

• coach the members and encourage them to resolve the conflicts by themselves. 
  • remind them about whole team failure due the conflicts.
  • encourage them to find a common ground towards common goal. 
  • narrow down to the specific conflicting point(s) and push them to deal with it later (if it is alright)

The above steps always worked for me.  I never had to escalate anything or had to use any common meetings to deal with them until now.  

02:20 pm October 5, 2018

I think it really depends on the source of the conflict.  Is it personal or professional?  If it's professional or a disagreement on methods, then I think the team needs to be involved to reach consensus, if it's personal, then I you are better off asking the two to resolve it between themselves, but making it clear that you won't let it affect the productivity of the team.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.