Skip to main content

If Story Points are relative and about effort, why not compare various projects sizes in SP?

Last post 05:07 pm October 8, 2018 by Pietross R
No replies yet
05:07 pm October 8, 2018

First, I do not want to compare velocities of individual teams. All I am looking for is normalization of product size. To me, story points seem right for that, assuming that all teams get to see a common, reference story assigned with 1 SP. Team A might get it done in a day, team B might need twice as much, that is fine. But the total number of story points (were they working separately on a completely identical project), would be approximately the same, wouldn't it? 

Additional point, I assume in projects with fixed scope and time, there is no point in estimating in SPs - you have e.g. 1000 MD to deliver 50 features, so whatever you estimate in SPs, in the end it would equal to 1000 MDs.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.