Skip to main content

Apply Scrum to a Replication and Déploiement project ?

Last post 08:56 am October 17, 2018 by Eugene M
4 replies
02:49 pm October 16, 2018

hello Scrum community, 

i have a lot of question, but let me explain you the project:

my organisation with the help of contractor have already devlop the appplication (not with scrum or other agile freamwork mode) but it was installed just for one store as a pilot, now my organisation want to do a replication and Déploiement for all the store all over the world and there is a lot of work to do as every country have some specification & adaptation to devlope but we already have the 90% of the app. 

as i was recently introduced to the project, i'am trying to find a way to agilize a replication et Déploiement project, i have already experience with dev project but it's my first time about this type of project. 

i don't have a PO  

i d'ont have a backlog 

a lot of dependency

estimation to be done in fibonacci ? XL ? day-man ? ...

therese is no demo, but i think i will set deliverable in place  

user storie will be in forme of replication & deploiement  

so do you think that we can agilize with the scrum freamwork such a project ? 

thank you for the feedback 

Best regards, 

03:55 pm October 16, 2018

Hi Adil,

As my understanding from your words, you already have the 90% of the app that applies to every country, and the remaining 10% is the part that is being considered to evolve based on the adaptations from different stakeholders.

The framework of Scrum serves best to products where there is some degree of complexity, the product can be released in increments of done functionality developed by a small team of people who learn and improve from/for the product domain, generally in cycles of one month or less by reducing risk and delivering value.

Without considering how quick we could be using Scrum, do you see a replication and deployment project fit in here?

09:34 pm October 16, 2018

Adil,

In my opinion, you need to ask yourself a few questions in order to identify the right direction:

• What is the easiest deployment you can make that will confirm decisions made about how you are installing the application?
  • Which store deployments have the most business value?   Which ones have the least?
  • Which store deployments have the most complexity?   Which ones are the simplest?

You may want to perform a quadrant analysis around all of the store deployments (least ==> most complex, least ==> most business value) to identify which store deployments make sense initially (least complex, most business value), and which ones can be deferred until the end (most complex, least business value).

Then, treat each store deployment (or group of store deployments) as a separate release, and break down the work needed to implement each phase so that work is both potentially deliverable and elicits feedback to guide future decision-making.

10:17 pm October 16, 2018

If you don’t have a Product Owner who can account for the value delivered, or a backlog to describe the work believed to remain, how do you know that 90% of the product is complete?

08:56 am October 17, 2018

"my organisation with the help of contractor have already devlop the appplication (not with scrum or other agile freamwork mode) but it was installed just for one store as a pilot"

Who kept in touch with the contractor, discussing requirements, reviewing increments, etc? There has to be at least 1 person. They are, in my view, the most appropriate to continue with this "replication & deployment" to other offices. Let's call the person/group, the "Pilot Product Owners"

"now my organisation want to do a replication and Déploiement for all the store all over the world and there is a lot of work to do as every country have some specification & adaptation to devlope but we already have the 90% of the app." 

You think you have 90% - but there's no way of precisely knowing, is there? it could be more, it could be less, which means the Pilot Product Owners need to create a SINGLE backlog to address the replication & deployment to your other offices around the world. They would create epics (say "Japan launch", "Spain launch", "California MVP", etc), they would discuss with developers (I'm guessing same contractors, because if not - and you go internal, things get more complicated, as they need to build on top of an unknown/external developed framework), they would prioritize work, they would discuss with business to see what markets/countries to launch first, which are more imporant, etc.

"so do you think that we can agilize with the scrum freamwork such a project ?"

In my view, not only you can do it using an agile way, but you must. Also, by looking into the scenario, Scrum seems a good fit, but there could be others more appropriate.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.