Skip to main content

Definition of Done formalization

Last post 09:24 am October 25, 2018 by Ian Mitchell
4 replies
04:49 pm October 24, 2018

Hello Scrum community

I don't understand how the DoD is formalized.

I think it is not a Sprint Backlog Item.

In the real world, is it written in a sort of repository? 

And Sprint Goals are written together with it?

Thanks

Marco

06:22 pm October 24, 2018

Hi Marco,

about DoD I recommend you to read great article of Ian Mitchell

https://www.scrum.org/resources/blog/walking-through-definition-done

maybe, it’ll help you somehow. If not, please ask.

09:25 pm October 24, 2018

You're correct, the definition of "Done" is not a Sprint Backlog item.  The definition of "Done" applies to the Increment.  The DoD may include non functional requirements (e.g. security, performance) as well as other details such as unit test coverage, quality, etc.  In the real world, it may be written down by the Development Team or the Development organization, and made transparent, as everyone needs to understand what "Done" means. 

Some teams may have it written on their white board or on a large sheet of paper, and have it hanging in their team room, otherwise known as an Information radiator, which is what I prefer.  Other teams may be distributed, so they prefer a web site or a wiki page.  Other teams may be mature Scrum teams and have a verbal agreement of what it is.  Regardless, the Development Teams can find the best way to make it transparent so everyone is on the same page.

The Sprint Goal is something different than the definition of "Done".  The Sprint Goal guides the Development Team, and is their objective  and 'north star' for the Sprint.  The Sprint Goal gives the Development Team a focus and purpose for the Sprint.  For example: "Provide an way for our customers to purchase insurance policies on their mobile devices".  

Much can be answered here: https://www.scrumguides.org/ 

Chris

08:05 am October 25, 2018

Thanks Marcin, thanks Chris

now I understand better.

Should Sprint Goals be expressed in information radiators too?

If Sprint Goals are so high-level, as in your mobile insurance purchase example, could they be shared across multiple Sprints?

Thanks again

Marco

09:24 am October 25, 2018

Should Sprint Goals be expressed in information radiators too?

The Sprint Goal is a coherence that causes the Development Team to work together rather than on separate initiatives. Individual developers ought to commit to the goals of the team. What are your thoughts about expressing the Sprint Goal via an information radiator?

If Sprint Goals are so high-level, as in your mobile insurance purchase example, could they be shared across multiple Sprints?

The purpose of a Sprint is to meet a Sprint Goal. Do you think it would make sense for a Goal to repeat across multiple Sprints?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.