Skip to main content

JIRA and tasks

Last post 03:59 pm November 14, 2018 by Daniel Wilhite
3 replies
10:32 am November 12, 2018

Hi all, as a Scrum Master I'm most familar with TFS. Stories being estimated in the backlog to a DefofReady including estimated story points. Then in Sprint Planning ensuring all tasks are identified and estimated in hours - its a recipe for success. JIRA in contrast seems to be more aligned to DSDM where team members work at a story, rather than task level as JIRA has Sub Tasks but the functionality doesnt easily or quickly allow multiple sub tasks like TFS, the burn down is based on story points etc. How can JIRA be used to manage work at a task level please?

05:37 pm November 12, 2018

Is this a question/concern originating from the team?

I ask, because of the way your question is phrased around "managing work at a task level".   I am assuming that no one outside of the Development Team is attempting to "manage" the work being done by the Development Team?

Also, it is a preference of mine (rooted in the Scrum Guide) that task completion is not something to be tracked.   Scrum only cares about completed items.   It does not matter if 4 out of the 5 tasks for an item are completed - the overall item is still incomplete and cannot be "potentially delivered" until the entire item is complete.

11:53 am November 14, 2018

Godon, in JIRA, the team can easily create subtasks for each story pulled into sprint. The story can stay In Progress from the moment the first dev subtask is started until all subtasks are completed; at that point, once can move the story to In Test, or whatever workflow you have running.

"Then in Sprint Planning ensuring all tasks are identified and estimated in hours - its a recipe for success."

Not really:

• You can't actually ensure all tasks are identified in sprint planning. Most of them, yes, but in my experience, is is unreasonable to think or otherwise expect all tasks to be identified.
  • Tasks may be estimated in hours or not estimated at all. Up to the team to decide what works best

"the burn down is based on story points"

Why would you be interested in any other type of burndown when that doesn't tell you much? Is the sprint goal linked to the subtasks (tasks) or the actual stories?

03:59 pm November 14, 2018

We only use Jira to manage our stories.  We use physical boards (i.e. painters tape on a wall, 1 post-it note per task) to manage the work.  Our teams like this better because it is easy to add/remove tasks as new info is discovered, there is a very visual element to see the work flowing, it adds transparency to our work for others.  We track the stories in Jira because it is tooled for that.  However very few of our teams even look at the burn down charts.  We track our productivity based on the continual delivery of value to our stakeholders (internal and external) because that is more important than doing bunch of tasks.  Tasks are just a means to the end.

Now, I will admit that all of our teams are currently co-located.  We have had a couple of teams in the past where we had remote workers. When that occurred, we did sub-tasks in Jira. But again, we didn't monitor completion of tasks. We monitored delivery of value.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.