Skip to main content

As my Definition of Done is constantly evolving - Will my Product ever be done ?

Last post 03:56 pm December 13, 2018 by TILAK NAYAK
2 replies
06:05 am December 13, 2018

Hi All,

Greetings!

One of the key aspects of SCRUM is continuous improvement. Each and every Scrum event presents us with a formal opportunity to Inspect existing practices and then adapt according to the changing environment and business need! Paraphrasing Ken - " harness change to gain the competitive advantage". Sprint Retrospective is a great opportunity to introspect and then modify my definition of done. 

This is a constant process and is recurring throughout my Sprint iterations for building my product. Now each of my Sprint have produced a Potentially Releasable Product Increment (compliant with the 'Definition of Done' then) and the summation of all such increments = Product.

Now in my later Sprints if my 'Definition of Done' evolves and renders my previously released Increment 'Not Done' i am required to add the additional work into the Product Backlog and prioritize. 

Since my DoD will keep evolving how do i ascertain when a Product is completely Done ? 

I couldn't find a definite answer in any discussion threads, hoping to gather some valuable insights on this.

Thanks in advance.

09:48 am December 13, 2018

Now in my later Sprints if my 'Definition of Done' evolves and renders my previously released Increment 'Not Done' i am required to add the additional work into the Product Backlog and prioritize. 

Since my DoD will keep evolving how do i ascertain when a Product is completely Done ? 

There is a distinction between an increment being Done and the product being complete.

By the end of any given Sprint a product increment will be either Done or not Done, as per the current Definition of Done. Each Sprint, team members should be able to commit to a Sprint Goal which yields a Done increment of release quality.

Product burn-downs, burn- ups, and similar projective practices can be used to ascertain when the work currently in the Product Backlog will be complete. However, this would not represent a commitment but rather a forecast.

Since work may be added to the Product Backlog at any time, including by inspecting an evolving Definition of Done for new requirements, any related projections are indeed forecasts. In Scrum, there’s no reason to suppose that a product will ever be complete. It is generally more useful to forecast when increments of functionality will be released to stakeholders given the latest information available. This information includes the Product Backlog, the current Definition of Done, and any metrics and trends.

03:56 pm December 13, 2018

That is spot on Ian. Thanks.

Much appreciated :)

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.