Skip to main content

Definition of "Done" - Multiple teams

Last post 01:06 pm June 1, 2019 by Bahaddin Ahmadov
5 replies
05:59 am January 15, 2019

I found two sentences that seem a bit contradictory. (pg 18)

Any help on what I might be missing?

• When a Product Backlog item or an Increment is described as “Done”, everyone must understand what “Done” means. Although this may vary significantly per Scrum Team, members must have a shared understanding of what it means for work to be complete, to ensure transparency.
  • If there are multiple Scrum Teams working on the system or product release, the Development Teams on all the Scrum Teams must mutually define the definition of “Done.”

06:20 pm January 15, 2019

Using your first quote I point out this part.

• When a Product Backlog item or an Increment is described as “Done”, everyone must understand what “Done” means. Although this may vary significantly per Scrum Team, members must have a shared understanding of what it means for work to be complete, to ensure transparency.

I emphasized two parts.  I'm also adding in a part of the paragraph from which you pulled your second quote

If "Done" for an increment is not a convention of the development organization, the Development Team of the Scrum Team must define a definition of "Done" appropriate for the product.

So the DoD is applied at the increment level.  Everyone working on that increment must understand when it is "Done".  So if you have more than one team working on the same increment, they must share a DoD.  If all teams are working on separate increments, different DoDs are necessary.  

A common practice that I have used and seen when having a joint DoD is to allow each team to add more stringent requirements to their own DoD should they choose but they are not to remove any item in the joint DoD.  This sort of follows this statement where the guide is talking about an organizational DoD. 

If the definition of "Done" for an increment is part of the conventions, standards or guidelines of the development organization, all Scrum Teams must follow it as a minimum.

That is my interpretation and I'm sure that others will have somewhat different ones or other ways to explain it.  I look forward to theirs as much as you do. 

10:22 pm January 15, 2019

Unlike the first statement, the second says nothing about multiple Scrum Teams working on the system or product release. If they have no consequent need to integrate their work, then the Definition of Done may indeed vary significantly per Scrum Team.

10:23 pm January 15, 2019

Apologies, I should have said it's the first statement that says nothing about multiple Scrum Teams working on the system or product release

11:57 am January 16, 2019

Thanks guys. I think I was focusing too much on the wrong part of the sentences. This clears it up for me.

09:51 am June 1, 2019

Which Scrum Guide says seems me oppositely in DOD section: 

"Although this may vary significantly per Scrum Team, members must have a shared understanding of what it means for work to be complete, to ensure transparency".

and 

"If there are multiple Scrum Teams working on the system or product release, the Development Teams on all the Scrum Teams must mutually define the definition of “Done."

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.